• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New Drying cupboard (inspired by Habs)

Started by teach, February 08, 2010, 11:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teach

Well I thought I would share my new project with you which is a new drying cupdoard.  This project was inspired by Habs project for which I am very greatful.

Step 1 Procure a used Fridge.
This came from ebay cost £60 and is only a couple of year old.  It is a bosch full height larder fridge in excellent condition ( a really good find)

Step 2 Heating
Due to the wide range of temperatures we get here I decided to go with 2x60w greehouse tube heaters.  These are connected with a special connection kit so they can be controlled via 1 input.

Step 3 Dehumidifier
Having read a number of different posts on this topic I decided that I would need to put both a dehumidifier and humidifier in.  For the dehumidifier I choose a small one due to the volume needed to be controlled.  The problem is the size of the reservoir which is small and I didn't want to keep opening the door to see if it was full.  So I used a tank connector and some pipe to create an external drain.

Step 4 Humdifier
Again size is an issue so I found an air-o-swiss one on amazon which was tiny and worked off a 500ml water bottle.

This is what the bottom of the fridge looks like once all of it is packed in.

Step 5 Probes, Fans and Sensors
Again air flow seemed to be an important consideration so I made a rack with a set of computer fans attached all controller by a Zalman fan controller.  Luckily we have just got a laser cutter at work so I used the fridge shelf as a template and cut out a support for the fans with cut outs to allow both air flow and room to hang the meat for drying.  I also hung the 2 humidity probles, a digital humidity sensor and temperature sensor off this in the middle of the cabinet.
I constructed a metal rack supported by wooden blocks as high in the cabinet as possible to support the weight of drying meat products.

Step 6 Control System
This consited of a dual temperature controller and 2 hydrostats one for each device.  These were sourced from www.forttex.com an excellent company who do a whole range of controll systems at a reasonable price.  These where all wire up on their own plug system so I can independently remove devices from the system if needed.

Now in testing stage holding 70% at 15 degrees C.  So I will update with progress as it is made.

Halifax Aussie

I like that set up ! that's my next project, once i get the wife(accountants) go ahead.
In 1992, Newfoundland scientists discovered that Bacon was made from pigs.

Habanero Smoker

I really like your setup. It's almost inspiring me to drill some holes in my refrigerator. :)  I wish I could get those green house heaters on this side of the pound, I keep looking for them. I like the way you are draining off the water from the dehumidifier.

I got my dehumidifier a couple of weeks ago, but just haven't given it a test run yet. I only have one humidistat, so at this time I can only control one or the other at any given time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

Nice job teach, looks like a well planed drying cabnet.

Keep us posted on how that thing of beauty works for ya.

Caneyscud

That IS a dry cabinet extraordinaire.  Congrats teach - job very well done.  I don't have one yet.  I haven't decided what I want to give up to have the room - my table saw, wood storage, or a planned fly tying bench. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

Nice looking setup teach.  It looks well planned and well executed.  Maybe someday ...
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Mr Walleye

Fantastic job Teach and thanks for updating us on it.  8)

Keep us posted on the maiden voyage.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

teach

Well here goes with the first batch.  A parma style ham and two lots of chorizo.  Put in the cupboard last night for the fermentation stage at 23 deg C at between 85 and 95% humidity.  Fingers crossed!!!!! ;D

Habanero Smoker

Now that is what I call a maiden voyage. I can't wait to hear how the parma ham turns out.

Just a couple of observations. At the top of the sausage you have a lot of air space. That can, but not always cause a problem. After the fermentation stage I would twist that tight and tie it with butcher's cord to eliminate as much air space as possible. I believe air pockets gives the bacteria a greater chance to grow underneath the casings; I'll have to look up the reason. I think I see some air pocket on the sides also, but that can just be the casings and lighting from the flash.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

teach

Thanks Habs

Didn't think about the air pockets.  I will have a go at spinning them and tying them afetr the hot phase.  The sides have small pockets of air but i was hoping that these would shrink during the drying phase?  What do you recon?  I was planning on smoking half of the chorizo after the fermentation phase just to add some extra flavor.

OU812

That is a great lookin load for the maiden voyage, cant wait to see and hear how this turns out for ya.

NePaSmoKer

Agree nice start. Just 1 question?

Why ferment chorizo?   I make chorizo allot and have never needed to ferment.

teach

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 23, 2010, 06:13:36 AM

Just following the recipe

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/weblog/pivot/entry.php?id=529&w=my_weblog

oakville smoker

That is a caddilac or mercedes or whatever your favorite vehicle is
Has me thinking bit that has to stop !
If I think about something, the next thing that happens is I start doing it !   LOL
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: teach on February 23, 2010, 04:59:46 AM
Thanks Habs

Didn't think about the air pockets.  I will have a go at spinning them and tying them afetr the hot phase.  The sides have small pockets of air but i was hoping that these would shrink during the drying phase?  What do you recon?  I was planning on smoking half of the chorizo after the fermentation phase just to add some extra flavor.

You don't see this tip often, but it is recommended that you prick the sausage all over especially on the air pockets. This helps with two things; one it helps release the air in the air pockets, and secondly it helps moisture to escape. I use a sausage pricker, but NePas uses a corn cob holder. Make sure you sterilize the pricker prior to using it by either dipping in boiling water, or in rubbing alcohol prior to using.

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 23, 2010, 06:13:36 AM

This is a fully dry cure chorizo, that does not require to be cooked. When you are dry curing fermenting is the best way to go. It drops the pH and prevents harmful bacteria from growing. Fermenting is not required for semi-dried or fully cooked chorizo.

I
         don't
                   inhale.