newbee

Started by SteveBird, April 12, 2005, 01:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveBird

Hi folks. I received my new stainless steel smoker for my birthday in March and it looks great next to my stainless steel Weber grill.[:D]

I used it yesterday experimenting with a 3 1/2 lb beef brisket. My results were the texture was exactly the same as when I did it using my grill.

But with Steve Raichlen's rub for a brisket and using hickory brickets it did taste mighty fine.  Only thing is that it didn't fall apart like all the briskets I've read about.  Oh well. [B)]

Being so new as "smoker" I need someone to clue me in on what racks should be used for the different meats if it matters.

I see by all your posts that you should warm the smoker up by putting it on high for an hour or so beforehand.

Is it true that high equals 400 degrees, 12 oclock is 200?

When you all mention FTC is it a trick that must be used to be successful and is ice used in the cooler?[?]

I'm eager to learn.  Thanks for your help.[8D]

SteveBird

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SteveBird</i>
<br />Is it true that high equals 400 degrees, 12 oclock is 200?

When you all mention FTC is it a trick that must be used to be successful and is ice used in the cooler?[?]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Steve,

Although you may be able to achieve 400F on a warm day with nothing in the smoker, I doubt you could actually cook at that temp. More importantly, you wouldn't want to. Low & slow is the way to go.

I don't understand the 12 oclock question, sorry.

FTC is meant to keep the meat warm, hot actually, so ice is a no-no. I wouldn't say that FTC is <b>mandatory</b>, but many here will tell you it makes perfection easier to consistantly attain. I haven't tried my first yet, so I have no first-hand knowledge.

Welcome to the board, we look forward to your posts.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum--always good to see another North East smoker on board!  

I don't think you could even achieve 400F in the BS--it is supposed to have a safety shut-off that kicks in around 325F.  As Chez says, that's pretty much irrelevant anyway since you want to cook low and slow.

If you could clarify your rack and "12 o'clock" questions a bit, I'm sure we could help you out!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

I will just say greatings and leave the answers to those on the know~~! [;)]

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

oguard

Welcome to the forum Steve[:D].A wealth of info here and we would really like to hear your adventures[8D]

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">Mike</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Habanero Smoker

Steve;
Welcome to the forum. By 12 o'clock I assume that you mean placing the temperature slider in the center position. Temperature depends on several factors; such as those mentioned by Kirk - outdoor temperature, how much food you have in the smoker; along with wind conditions.

From your post it sounds like you tried to smoke at the highest temperature, for a short period of time. This is not what you want to do. Can you provide more information on how you smoked the brisket; such as how long did you smoke it, what was the cabinet temperature, and what was the internal meat temperature? If you don't have a thermometer to monitor the internal meat temperature, you should get one. Many use the Maverick ET-73, which monitors both the cabinet and meat temperatures.

The rack question is confusing. Are you talking about the difference between the standard racks and the jerky racks. If you have both, it is better to use the jerky racks, because they are non-stick coated and are easier to clean. Other than than, it usually doesn't make a difference what rack you use, unless the food you are smoking requires the smaller grid, such as when smoking nuts, jerky etc.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

St. Helens Smoker

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Bradley.  The folks here are the greatest and very free with their knowledge...ENJOY!!

SteveBird

Thanks for all your help and sorry for the confusion.

Yes, by "12 oclock" I meant putting the temp slide in the middle.  I followed the instuctions on how to season the BS but didn't get the 150 degrees by putting the slide as instructed. I understand that it will take some practice to figure it out and depending on the weather what was true one day may not be true the next.

When I asked about the racks I was just wondering if some meats cook better closer or further from the heat source?

What I did with my 3.5 lb brisket was to smear it with mustard and then apply my rub.  I put it on the middle rack(in a shallow aluminum pan) and smoked it with hickory for around 5 hours at 200 degrees or so.  It registered 190 or so in the thickest part when I finally took it out.

I sliced it real thin and it tasted great but it didn't fall apart like a boston butt.  With all I've read I thought that was what I was going to experience.

I understand that low temps and slow smoking is the key to success.  I think I read from one of you guys to jack it up to 400 to preheat.  Is that the proper way to preheat the BS?

I hope, too, that I'm properly sending my reply so you all can see it.  Is there a way for replying to each individual that answers my post?

Thanks for all your help.

SteveBird

Habanero Smoker

Steve,
I didn't know you were from Burlington. I have a niece who lives in Burlington and a sister that lives in S. Burlington. As for myself, I'm staying in New York. My niece used to be a snowboard instructor at Killington.

If you check a member's profile, it will indicate whether or not you can send that person a message from the forum, but that takes a lot of effort. I and I believe most members check all new messages, so they will see when you post a reply. You still have the option to send private messages if you choose.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

PAsmoker

Hi, Steve.  I wouldn't use the aluminum pan.  there's no need for it & the heat & smoke will envelope it better with the brisket just on the rack.  I've smoked quite a few briski (plural of brisket?), and I rarely get it to the "falling apart like pulled pork" stage (mostly for personal choice).  you could've let it get towards 200* and it might have fallen apart.  I prefer mine to stay together in slices for samiches.  The FTC is letting the meat rest, but it is technically steaming the meat for moistness/tenderness.  NOT MANDATORY.  I rarely do this excpet if I need to hold the meat(??) for a little while.  To each his/her own on that.
The Original PAsmoker

SteveBird

Hey, Habanero Smoker, it's a small world. Burlinton's a nice place but the wife and me are looking to move to the Phoenix area.  We're sick of the cold and gloom.  We need sun and an outdoors kitchen.  

If you ever come up to the area let me know and we'll have you over for dinner.

Thanks for the info.

SteveBird

SteveBird

Thanks for the info PAsmoker.  I feel a lot better, now, knowing I did good. I mean mine tasted great but didn't pull apart.

I'll stay away from using using containers, now, too.

Thanks again.

SteveBird

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SteveBird</i>
<br />Hey, Habanero Smoker, it's a small world. Burlinton's a nice place but the wife and me are looking to move to the Phoenix area.  We're sick of the cold and gloom.  We need sun and an outdoors kitchen.  

If you ever come up to the area let me know and we'll have you over for dinner.

Thanks for the info.

SteveBird
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks for the invitation. I know what you mean about the weather in the Northeast. I probably get 5 days more of warm weather then you do, per year [:D] , so I'm going to stick it out a little longer. Warm weather and less taxes is a big incentive to relocate.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PAsmoker</i>
<br />Hi, Steve.  I wouldn't use the aluminum pan.  there's no need for it & the heat & smoke will envelope it better with the brisket just on the rack.  I've smoked quite a few briski (plural of brisket?), and I rarely get it to the "falling apart like pulled pork" stage (mostly for personal choice).  you could've let it get towards 200* and it might have fallen apart.  I prefer mine to stay together in slices for samiches.  The FTC is letting the meat rest, but it is technically steaming the meat for moistness/tenderness.  NOT MANDATORY.  I rarely do this excpet if I need to hold the meat(??) for a little while.  To each his/her own on that.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I would disagree that in the case of a brisket the resting period(1 hr minimum)is necessary.  This resting time lets the internal juices redistribute throughout the entire brisket(whole or flat).  I find the FTC method preferable to just sitting the brisket in the oven.  By letting the brisket rest the leftover brisket will be as juicy when reheated as it was when you first sliced it.  My personal experience is without the resting period most of the internal juice will run out during the first few slices.  Just MHO.  I like the new word "Briski"[:D]

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

PAsmoker

BigSmoke, I agree that a resting period is needed.  I always let it rest a bit before slicing.  I'm just not one to FTC much.  It just seems to get promoted as gospel just like...gulp...the dreaded raptor, guru combo[:0].  JUST KIDDING. don't kill me
The Original PAsmoker