• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

For sale - broken OBS

Started by dgarnier, February 10, 2010, 08:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgarnier

We got it about 2 years ago - and found the temp really didn't get much past 180.  So it sat in the garage until this past weekend.  Went out spent 20$ for more pucks and stuffed some snacks sticks.  Turned on the smoker and the puck heater to pre heat, and the temp got up to 180.  So I put in 10# of sticks on for 4 trays and added the pucks.  5 and half hours later they got to 152.  I had called Bradley to see if they know how to get the temp up.  The suggestion was to put the slider all the way to the right and then move it back just a bit, if that didn't work they would send out a temp control part.  Tried this and still max temp was only 180, so I looked around on this site and found a few more things to try.  I plugged the smoker in to the wall outlet rather then using an extension cord but still maxed out at 180.  Then I find the thread about the cracked face plate and low and behold the face plate is cracked.  So I called Bradley today only to find out that they want to charge me 27$ for the faceplate and control switch, keep in mind it seems like this is a common problem that they know about.  Then on top of that she also recommends I buy a temp sensor as well for another 2$.  I point out to her that on this site from what I read lot of people had the cracked face plate, but still she wants to charge me for it.  We have already spent close to 400$ on this smoker, so find out if has a defect that is going to cost another 30$ was a bit over the line for me.  I really was kind of PO'ed after reading ho helpful they are and sending out doors when just a seal was needed.  BPS has a PL smoker for 149$ so I a looking to sell the OBS for 150$

classicrockgriller

classicrockgriller

If you will ship it for that, I'll buy it.

NePaSmoKer

sounds like a great deal.

5.5 hours for sticks to get at 152* sounds like your smoker is getting hotter than 180?

GusRobin

not to sound like a smartass but what are you using to read the temp of the smoker? Are you sure it is working correctly? May be just a bad thermometer.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: GusRobin on February 10, 2010, 10:21:26 AM
not to sound like a smartass but what are you using to read the temp of the smoker? Are you sure it is working correctly? May be just a bad thermometer.

That is a good question.

dgarnier

I am using a wireless temp probe, and the door probe both read in the 180's.  I just did another test and with the vent closed and nothing but the drip pan and water bowl with water the temp got up to 200

willing to ship at buyer expence - prefer not too

classicrockgriller

Quote from: dgarnier on February 10, 2010, 11:37:04 AM
I am using a wireless temp probe, and the door probe both read in the 180's.  I just did another test and with the vent closed and nothing but the drip pan and water bowl with water the temp got up to 200

willing to ship at buyer expence - prefer not too

Not trying to be rude, but at 150 plus shipping plus 40 to fix it.

New one at Amazon is 288 shipping included.

dgarnier

I saw that a few months back the price had dropped, I paid like 400 for it.  Then they dropped to 299 - really makes be glad I bought a bradly...defective parts and there is not just about no market for a used one since they whacked the price and they have problems to begin with

OU812

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 10, 2010, 09:52:24 AM
5.5 hours for sticks to get at 152* sounds like your smoker is getting hotter than 180?

I agree.

You might want to check your wireless temp probe.

JT-MO

I live in MO, if I didn't already get one for christmas I would come over and buy yours and just fixed it or modified it to work better than new :)
I haven't had any issues with the one I got for christmas (6 cooks on it so far), hopefully it will last for years.

smokeNcanuck

Well it's too bad you did not give it a little more effort when it was new.  I'm sure you would have been able to
chase the problem down with the help of the people at Bradley.  Your OBS came with a one year warranty so
I'm sure you would have had no problem getting any defective parts replaced for free.  As with anything, as new models
and upgrades come along older technology gets cheaper.  I'm not trying to pick a fight or make you angry I'm
just stating my opinion(and you know what they say about opinions... they are like a**holes, everybody has one!)
If you don't think you can get your money out of it, why not try to get it working right?  If you are already 400 in the
hole what's another few bucks to have it work properly. Then you would be out nothing, and up one great smoker.
Good luck which ever way you decide to go!! ;)
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

Quarlow

I agree. Your into it now, for $30 or $40 bucks more you will be up and running with the best of us. Yeah it sucks that the warranty is up but no sense in just throwing your money away. Maybe if you pm'd Brian and explain it to him he might be able to help you out a bit. You never know unless you ask and the worst that can happen is you have to put out the dough.
If I was in better shape I would buy you the parts cause that is how strong I feel about these smokers. I would hate to see you give up when you are this close. I was trying to save money just to buy one for a couple of years but every time I got 50 or 100 bucks put away something would come up. Then our local grocery store got them in on their points catalog and I had almost enough to get it. I am so glad I got it and I hope everyone has a positive experience with it too. Hang in there and see what you can work out, you won't regret it, really.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Quarlow

Just to show you how strongly I feel about the Bradleys here is a post I did on a guy that advertized on craigslist wanted ads for a cheap Little Chief smoker. This is long and goes over several weeks, but he eventually got one threw his points at the same store as me.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12088.msg136986#msg136986
Last I heard he loved it but didn't have time due to work schedule or whatever to join this site right now.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.