• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Snack stick question

Started by Bigun, February 11, 2010, 05:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigun

Would it be ok to stuff sticks, then freeze for a few days before smoking?

RAF128

I think you need to store them in the fridge overnight first.   You have to give the cure a chance to work.   

marauder11

If frozen for to long the cure won't be effective. I am sure this has been talk about on this forum before. I could not find the post thou.

classicrockgriller

I have read that cure stops working around the 34* range.

So you may want to fridge over nite before freezing them

and of course bring them to fridge temp after freezing.

Habanero Smoker

Bigun;

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with RAF128; let them cure a day or two in the refrigerator, prior to freezing. If it is only going to be a few days, then I would not bother to freeze them.

Quote from: marauder11 on February 11, 2010, 06:53:28 PM
If frozen for to long the cure won't be effective. I am sure this has been talk about on this forum before. I could not find the post thou.

The lower the temperature the longer it takes the cure to work. The best temperatures for curing should take place between 36°F - 40°F. The cure will stop working at 28°F, at which point meat freezes (other factors can influence the freezing point) and osmosis can no longer take place. Once the meat thaws the curing action will again begin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Yes you can mix add cure and freeze. Thaw and stuff. Been there done that and works fine.   I'm still here, sons, family, friends  ;D

Bigun

Thanks to all. As this will be my first go at any of this I'am sure there will be many questions to follow...