• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Breakfast Sausage Casing

Started by oakville smoker, February 11, 2010, 06:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

My new stuffer was screaming last night in the middle of the night it was lonely
It has not seen light for almost 2 weeks
I just can't let that happen....

I bought some High Mountain breakfast sausage kist a couple of weeks ago
The directions say use natural casings
I do intend to smoke these

Can collagen casings be used for breakfas sausage  that are going to be pan fried or will that mess
up the texture or make them tough?

I have a feeling finding breakfast sausage casing around here could be a challenge

Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

classicrockgriller

If you are going to pan fry, you can always make them into patties.

KevinG

I don't use collagen casings, but according to Rytek you can use them as you would natural casings.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

I like to take coffee and some water to kinda "water fry" breakfast sausage that is in casing.

Bet if you did that, it would work.

KevinG

Throw in some orange juice and eggs and you got the whole meal in there.  :D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

RAF128

I've made the HM breakfast sausage.   I've done 2 different ones.   I was really disappointed with the maple ones.   The others were great.   I didn't smoke them though.  I used lamb casings and they worked great.    I spoke to a butcher at a local meat market and they make breakfast sausage all the time for sale and they only use coligen casings so you should be OK.

oakville smoker

Thanks all
Collagen casings it will be then
I dont intend on making them into patties or what would be the pointof stuffing them?
We will see how this turns out
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

RAF128

I should have added that lamb casings are real expensive around here.    I bought mine at a butcher supply store and they were $38 for a bundle.

oakville smoker

RAF

I think that is the going rate
Everywhere I have seen them, 38 seems to be the number
I have to go visit buddy the butcher tomorrow morning and see if he can sell a smaller quantity or if his price is any better
If not, hello collagen !

NePaSmoKer

Yes you can use collagen for breakfast links.

pensrock

I have used Collagen casings for breakfast links several times. Works well.

OU812

I have also used collagen for breakfast links and they work great.

If you want to go natural try sheep casings there fairly cheep around here.

oakville smoker

Guys

That being said, that collagen casings are OK for breakfast links assumes they will fry up OK ?
I have not used a collagen casing for something that will be fried and I am a touch tenative
But all information seems to suggest they should be fine in a fry pan

Tenpoint5

They will be just fine for you OS

Quote from: OU812 on February 12, 2010, 08:44:03 AM

Must have a high divorce rate in your area!! I seen those high topped boots you have.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 12, 2010, 03:23:40 PM
They will be just fine for you OS

Quote from: OU812 on February 12, 2010, 08:44:03 AM

Must have a high divorce rate in your area!! I seen those high topped boots you have.

You mean the ones covered with cow sh*t?  You been in my shop?