Hello! .....smoker not reaching temp.? HELP!

Started by Herd Bull, February 13, 2010, 07:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herd Bull

Hello fellow meat lovers. just getting my smoker rollling here. when i tried to season my smoker as per the manual. it doesnt look like it is reaching temp. set @150F... & showing it is only getting to 26F? the manual says that when the temp gets to 150F the smoker is now seasoned. but the temp never got even close? i took some meat out to smoke. so i dont want it to go to waste. i tried it again @ 280F just to see what it would get to....& same thing....only up to 26F..... how long does it take to reach temperature? starting ot get frustrated. any help would be greatly apprciated. THANKS HB.

smokeNcanuck

HB, you must a BDS... right?

I have a OBS but I'll tell what I know.  When I seasoned mine I turned the heat of full loaded 3 pucks(1 hr worth) and let her go.
I'm pretty sure that was as per instructions.
My OBS headed to 275F last night in 1 hr in -5C(sorry Canada eh ;))23F I think.
You should be able to hit 150F no problemo, if not you have a problem.
I have read from many great minds hear to check your connections, even one a little loose or not pushed in far enough can cause
problems. I sure some one with more knowledge than my self will be along.
Good luck, hope you get it sorted out!

sNc
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

deb415611

HB,

Like SNC I have a OBS too so I don't know the digital but I would also check the connections.   It almost sounds like only the smoke generator is heating. 

Some things that might help others who know more than me:

When it's going is the element in the box glowing red at all? 
What is your outside temperature?
Was the smoke generator getting hot enough to produce smoke?

Also, here is a link to the FAQs on hte recipe site, maybe something there will help.   http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=481

ArnieM

Does the outside temp happen to be 26F?  Doesn't sound like you're measuring the cabinet temp or there's no cabinet heat at all.  Open the door and lightly touch a rack.  Is it warm/hot?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the Forum Herd Bull!

Try plugging the tower directly into the wall. Does the element glow red ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Herd Bull

YES THE SMOKER HEATS UP & BURNS THE PUCKS, YES THE ELEMENT IS GLOWING RED, THE SMOKER IS INSIDE MY GARAGE WITH THE HEAT ON. MAYBE YOUR RIGHT... MAYBE THE TEMP IS READING THE "EXTERNAL" TEMP? THAT MAKES MORE SENSE. BUT WHY WOULD IT DO THAT. I ALREADYT KNOW THE EXT. TEMP. THAT DOES ME LITTLE GOOD? I HAVE UN-PLUGGED THE TEMP. PROBE MAAAANNNNNY X. WHEN I UN-PLUG IT, IT BEEPS UNTIL I PLUG IT BACK IN..... & IT READS THE SAME...26-27. SHOULDNT I BE ABLE TO CYCLE THROUGH THE "OVEN" - "MEAT" - "TEMP" ICONS?? IF I COULD DO THAT THEN MAYBE THE # WOULD CHANGE TO SOMETHING THAT WOULD MAKE MORE SENSE??

Herd Bull

I TRIED TO PLUG IT IN DIRECTLY TO THE WALL... BUT THE PRONGS HAVE SOME KIND OF FANCY SHROWD AROUND THEM TO PREVENT ANOTHER PLUG FROM BEING APPLYED. YES IT SMOKED LIKE CRAZY. LEAVING THE DESIRED EFFECT OF A RESIDUE ON THE INTERIOR. IM AT A BRICK WALL HERE! HB

Herd Bull

NO...I DONT HAVE ANY OTHER DEVICE TO READ THE INTERNAL TEMP OF THE TOWER. I THOUGHT THATS WHY I BOUGHT THE DIGITAL UNIT....I THOUGHT IT WOULD DO THAT FOR ME. I MIGHT HAVE TO RUN TO CAN. TIRE & SEE IF THEY HAVE SOMETHING! THIS THING HAD BEEN RUNNING SINE 08:00 THIS MORNING...& IT IS NOW 11:30. HB

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi HB

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with the smoker

I read both of your posts and I think you have a defective temperature sensor
what puzzles me is you say on the digital diplay only the Oven is lit up
It should have the oven and the temp lit (the meat is for furture add ons)

It may be a bad connection inside the smoke generator with the flat ribbon cable that goes to the digital display
if you want open the generator up and check that connection.
If you find it is good then we will need to send you a new temperature sensor.

PS I know you are fustrated but typing in all cap's is considered rude.

Brian

Herd Bull

Sorry! i am not trying to be rude...but to get some kind of response! this beyond frustrating. i have all this meat out. & i expected to have something cooked by now! i am going to do as u suggested & take apart the generator & check the wires. Will this void my warranty? thanks HB

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi HB

I totally understand you being frustrated If I was in your place I would be the same way.
Taking it apart will not void your warranty.

If you cannot see anything wrong and if Cantire is where you purchased it take it back to them if they are close enough to you and get another one
or give me a call on Monday at the office and I will have them send out a new sensor for yours.

With the sensor reading 27 the heat element will never shut off making it impossible to control the heat for cooking.

Brian

Herd Bull

No i didnt buy it from can tire, but from CTR out of edmonton. i live out by whitecourt (2hrs from edm). & monday is a holiday (Family Day). i will let u know what i find inside the generator. thanks. HB

Herd Bull

opened up the back panel of the generator.....nothing out of the ordinary! pulled apart some of the connections. they all looked to be in order. got a temp probe from my sister. going to leave it set @ 250F. & see what it goes to. am considering not getting into this whole smoking thing all together! WOW! HB.

smokeNcanuck

HB,

I know how you feel!  The firs time I fired mine up all seemed well till I tried to advance the second puck on the SG.  Pushed button and..... nothing
tried pushing again with no results.  I called Bradley talked to the tech guy(not sure if it was you Brian)after trying a few things we could not get it to work.  I was very disappointed
to say the least!  They sent me a new SG, which I revived in a few days.  Problem solved.  Can not tell you how glad I am that I did not throw in the towel .  The food I
have cooked so far has been AMAZING!!  Stick with it you will not be disappointed, even though it is frustrating right now.  Bradley are good people and they will do everything they
can, as will the people of this forum to get you rolling.

sNc
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

Herd Bull

i think there is something wrong with the temp sensor. doesnt display properly im sure. hopefully they can send me a new 1. HB