"Vegetarian" ABTs w/ Jan's Rub

Started by monty, February 13, 2010, 05:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty

i've been doing these a lot lately - "vegetarian" ABTs  ;D

used Philadelphia Herb & Garlic cream cheese, dusted with some Jan's Rub, and hit em with 2 hours of hickory. without the bacon wrap the cream cheese really takes in a lot of the smoke - you'd swear i filled those penos with peanut butter  :D

they were delicious! try it out. highly recommended.

cheers,

-monty

Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

Gizmo

Gee, I would have thought the cream cheese would have melted out with the heat the pens were exposed to without being wrapped up.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

squirtthecat

Try some Bacon Salt mixed in the cream cheese next time..

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Gizmo on February 13, 2010, 07:01:19 PM
Gee, I would have thought the cream cheese would have melted out with the heat the pens were exposed to without being wrapped up.

Last time I smoked some cheese, I did a block of cream cheese and it held up better than some of the regular cheese.

Habanero Smoker

Vegetarian ABTs is a great idea and they look great. I do my ABT's similar to yours, but haven't made them vegetarian - which will be my next batch.

I generally cook the bacon crumble it up and mix it into the cream cheese with pulled pork and add seasonings. I halve the peppers leaving the tops on, stuff with cream cheese mixture then top with a variety of toppings; such as crushed pineapple, chopped roasted nuts, chopped roasted peppers, etc. With everything already cooked, I just leave them in the smoker until I get the right texture for the pepper.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)