What to do with Butts and Brisket if they can't be smoked this weekend?

Started by Tommy3Putts, February 14, 2010, 10:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy3Putts

Hi All

I need your thoughts.

This relates to my earlier "Butts and Brisket for President's Day Smoke" post.  It seems that FedEx has thrown a slight hitch into my plans so far.  As said in the other post I placed my order with Amazon for the 6 DBS and various accessories earlier this week for a Saturday delivery.  Well everything arrived yesterday except the smoker itself.  Amazon verified with FedEx that it was supposed to arrive today (Sunday), but still no sign and its almost 2 PM EST.

Here's the problem.  I have two butts and a brisket that were slathered, rubbed and wrapped and put in the fridge Friday night.  If I don't get my smoker today or maybe tomorrow (Monday) I will have a tough time getting it in the smoker during the week.  I have Monday off but need to work Tuesday through Friday.  I work 730 am to 530 pm during the week so I might be able to do an early morning or late night thing, but who knows? And who knows I may not get the smoker until then.

Thoughts on my options?  Freeze them as they sit, cook them in the oven or let them sit in the fridge?  How long do you think they could safely last in the fridge in their current state?

I still have hope that the smoker will show today, but the FedEx tracker does not it show it on a truck for delivery.  It show's it "in transit."  I'm really upset with FedEx but that story is for a different forum.  Amazon rocks though!

Thanks All

T3Ps

classicrockgriller

Was any of this frozen when you bought it and you defrosted it?

Tommy3Putts

No none of the three were purchased frozen.   The were in vacuum sealed meat packaging at my local supermarket.

Thanks

classicrockgriller

Tommy, I have bought fresh steaks and seasoned them and vac seal and refroze for later date and had no problems with them.

With your schedule during the week, it will be hard to smoke a butt.

But you could do smoke as much as you can during the nite and in the morning put in oven at 200*

FLBentRider

As long as you have not exceeded the "use or freeze by" date you should be good.

Freezing should work if you have to.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tommy3Putts

Thanks guys

I just used HD foil over the out side of the plastic wrap and put them in the freezer.  They will only be in there for a few days.  I'll try to smoke them next weekend. 

T3Ps