• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New PID - question

Started by RAF128, February 14, 2010, 11:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

I've just received my PID, a single.   I printed the manual and have been reading through it before I set up.   I see there are 2 methods to connect it.   A one wire and a 2 wire.   Are there any advantages of one over the other and any disadvantages.

HawkeyeSmokes

Do you have the OBS or DBS smoker?
HawkeyeSmokes

RAF128

Mine is a DBS.   The manual says the 1 wire is for the OBS but that's the only way I can hook it up.   Using the 2 wire I'll have to order another cable. 

HawkeyeSmokes

If you have an extra computer cord you can use that. Hooking it up with one cord, you will need to reset the Bradley timer if your smoking/cooking more than 9:40 minutes.
HawkeyeSmokes

RAF128

Got lots of cord laying around.   I'll have to see what I come up with.    If nothing works I can live with the 9:40 until a new cord arrives.

leftcoast smoker

I use 2 cords with mine, the element plugs directly into the Auber and I plug the SG to an AC outlet, that way the Auber is directly controlling the element instead of through the bradley digital, don't know if it matters just seemed logical to me, had lots of computor AC cords laying around anyways, actually thinking about it now if you use 1 cord with the digital it wont work cause as soon as the auber cycles off the digital will shut down, yes You need 2 cords for the digital-I believe.

RAF128

Wouldn't you know it.   I've computer cables coming out my ***** but no AC power cable.   I'll check with by daughter and her better half later this morning (there computer gurus and geeks).    They have more stuff, computer related, than you can shake a sausage at ;).      I've checked the Auber site and can't find where I can order the cable by itself.  It was included when you order the PID.    Might have to send an e-mail or check with a computer store and see if I can find an AC cable.   I should have read more closely when I ordered it originally :-[.

RAF128

Got a power cord this morning and hooked everything up.    Am running a test as I type.    Running the sensor through the door seems problematic to me.   Too many wires coming through the door.   Probably get in the way when you're doing something with the meat.   Thought I might just drill a hole in the top of the smoker, fit the sensor through it and tape up the hole and to hold the wire.    Any thoughts?

OU812

I just run mine through the vent.

FLBentRider

Sometimes I use the door, sometimes I use the vent.

It depends on what I am smoking.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

RAF128

I can't use the vent.   I have my smoker in the garage and it's vented to the out side.   The venting is connected to the top of the smoker.    This is what mine looks like

HawkeyeSmokes

I would just run it through the door then.

After using the PID for a few smokes, I don't use the the tower probe from my Maverick to much and just rely on the PID.

One less wire that way.

;D
HawkeyeSmokes

RAF128

As I said earlier, I ran a test and as far as I could tell the PID worked perfectly.    What I noticed though, was the temperature reading on the bradley wasn't close.   I should say that I had a meat probe in the smoker too and it's temps were identical to the PID.   The smoker showed a temp 20* higher.   I used to wonder why it took longer to get food to IT I wanted.   Now I think it's because the smoker wasn't as hot as it said it was.

RAF128

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on February 15, 2010, 06:47:24 PM

After using the PID for a few smokes, I don't use the the tower probe from my Maverick to much and just rely on the PID.

One less wire that way.

;D

My PID is only a single probe.   I'll still use the temp probe to check meat temps.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: RAF128 on February 15, 2010, 06:56:39 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on February 15, 2010, 06:47:24 PM

One less wire that way.

;D

My PID is only a single probe.   I'll still use the temp probe to check meat temps.

I have the single probe Auber to. I just use the meat probe on my Maverick.
HawkeyeSmokes