• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New PID - question

Started by RAF128, February 14, 2010, 11:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

I have the old Auber and with the maverick I use both probes for the product and totally rely on the PID for the cabnet temp.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OU812 on February 16, 2010, 11:17:02 AM
I have the old Auber and with the maverick I use both probes for the product and totally rely on the PID for the cabnet temp.

OU, you have the 73 and using both as product probe? Kewl

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 16, 2010, 11:21:17 AM

Yep

With the PID there aint no reason to monitor the cabnet temp anymore.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OU812 on February 16, 2010, 11:49:15 AM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 16, 2010, 11:21:17 AM

Yep

With the PID there aint no reason to monitor the cabnet temp anymore.

Unless you are lazy like me and you want the remote temp. ;D

OU812

The ET 73 is a remote but it dont shoot through the tin coverin the smokin shed
so I have to check on it every now and then, got a bottle out there too.  8)

classicrockgriller

Ahhh, the real reason for checking on the smoker comes out! ;D

RAF128

This afternoon I drilled a hole through the top of my BDS and slipped the sensor through it.   The sensor is a couple of inches from the top and just above the 1st rack of my 6 rack.   A little duct tape and it now all sealed up and sensor shouldn't move.

leftcoast smoker

Quote from: RAF128 on February 16, 2010, 06:22:37 PM
This afternoon I drilled a hole through the top of my BDS and slipped the sensor through it.   The sensor is a couple of inches from the top and just above the 1st rack of my 6 rack.   A little duct tape and it now all sealed up and sensor shouldn't move.

not sure if you want it that high in the cabinet, I put mine more central to where most of my cooking is done, mind you I doubt there is much difference in heat from top to bottom just preferrence I guess

Gizmo

Quote from: leftcoast smoker on February 16, 2010, 06:28:53 PM
Quote from: RAF128 on February 16, 2010, 06:22:37 PM
This afternoon I drilled a hole through the top of my BDS and slipped the sensor through it.  The sensor is a couple of inches from the top and just above the 1st rack of my 6 rack.   A little duct tape and it now all sealed up and sensor shouldn't move.

not sure if you want it that high in the cabinet, I put mine more central to where most of my cooking is done, mind you I doubt there is much difference in heat from top to bottom just preference I guess

I find a fairly significant difference in temp from top to bottom especially with a large load.  I would have it around the middle of the cabinet as well.  With a top location, your lower rack positions will see temps 20 to 30 degrees higher (in my experiences) than the bottom and therefore the items on the bottom will cook faster especially toward the back of the cabinet where the heating element is located. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

classicrockgriller

This is my toughts on a fixed probe.

I'm like Gizmo, I have a 4 rk and if I have a non/ful load, I don't use the bottom rack.

If i cook 2 things at a time, I use the second from bottom and the third rack.

If i cook 1 thing, I flip a coin betweeen the second from bottom and the third rack.

So, If i was gonna put a stationary probe in my Bradley,

It would be between the 2nd and 3rd rack.

PS, If I had a 6rk it would be close to the top to middle of the 3rd rack.

RAF128

I was thinking that I do most of my cooking near the top 'cause I was to be as far away from the heat source as possible.   I think it's hotter near the back of the tower than the front.   Also didn't want the probe wire dangling through several racks.   Gets ackward when you're pulling out racks.   I can see a problem if I'm doing longer sausages.    Bottom would be hotter than the top.