Future Smoker #2

Started by classicrockgriller, February 16, 2010, 07:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

I have one just like that collecting dust in my shop, its 5' 4" high and 4' 4" wide on the out side not including the legs.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OU812 on February 16, 2010, 01:18:13 PM
I have one just like that collecting dust in my shop, its 5' 4" high and 4' 4" wide on the out side not including the legs.

Why? As sharp as you are that thing should be smokin!

OU812

Made a smaller one this summer for a friend and have one thats more like the first one you looked at last month in the proses for me just need to get it finished.

The big one I'm still workin out how the baffles need to be to get even heat from side to side. It will have 2 heatin elements.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OU812 on February 16, 2010, 01:36:32 PM
Made a smaller one this summer for a friend and have one thats more like the first one you looked at last month in the proses for me just need to get it finished.

The big one I'm still workin out how the baffles need to be to get even heat from side to side. It will have 2 heatin elements.

Well you need to hurry up so you can help me. ;D

OU812

My wife tells me I spend to much of my time heplin others to get my own crap done, and shes right. But what can I say, a favor for a favor goes a long way.

Be glad to help in any way I can my friend.

car54

Is that item insulated? That would make a big difference in the heat capacity. Some where I had a link to the amount of BTU's needed in relationship to the size and insulation value. I'll try to find it.

Brad

Ka Honu

I'd buy it.  If you don't have time to convert right now you could always use it as a guest bedroom while you're waiting.

OU812

For the one similar to the one in CRG pic I come up with 3984 watts

Average insulation for a smoker 2' 6" deep, 4' 4" wide and 5' 4" high.

Temp increase= 200 F
Sq. Ft.= 2.5 x 4.33
Height= 5.33
Btu= 13600
Watt= 3984

Thats what I came up with for the one I was buildin.

classicrockgriller

Had Wifie wire him the money and I am gonna try and pick it up thurs or friday.

It was a commerical Fridgerator. I would imagine it is insulated pretty good.

squirtthecat

What is the BTU output of the BPS smoke gen?

classicrockgriller

Not sure, BUt I will check.

The one recommended that you posted was 14,000.

classicrockgriller

The web page has nothing listed for BTU's

squirtthecat

I'm thinking just one BPS for smoke, then the primary heater (gas or electric) for the cooking 'ooomph'..

If you did electric, you could control it with your PID.   Not sure how to control the gas ones..

classicrockgriller

I was thinking using the Bradley generator from Gabi for the smoke and two 1500 watt elements from a Brinkman.

But I really don't know.

I don't want to spend a bunch of $$ on it but I want it to work when I turn it on.

OU812

I've been using electric stove top elements with drip pans like on the older stoves. Then make a false bottom for the smoker and cut a hole in the false bottom to sit the drip pan in, just like a stove. Works great and you can get them almost every where.