Future Smoker #2

Started by classicrockgriller, February 16, 2010, 07:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

smokeitall

Hey CRG if you look on Ebay there are a lot of heating elements.  For example the one below is a industrial pizza oven heating element for $25.00, it puts out enough heat to get a pizza oven up to 575 degF.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Heating-Element_W0QQitemZ230434410891QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a6f6118b#ht_732wt_939
SIA

OU812

squirtthecat

I just threw away a 3 'burner' electric "tabletop range" that I got at Walgreens of all places.  It had 3 of these electric elements, three rheostats and drip trays all packaged together.   I think I paid 20 bucks for the whole thing?

classicrockgriller

I do have 3 of these:

Not the cold gen but the "hot plates"

OU812

CRG

I had problems with the rheostat burnin out on those hot plates. They cant handle the heat and smoke from the inside of the smoker.

classicrockgriller

leftcoast smoker

you should be able to pull that hot plate apart and lengthen the reostat wires and mount it out side of the cabinet somewhere, at least thats what i was gonna do with mine if I ever get started

Mr Walleye

CRG

I just re-wired my big smoker to 220 this last weekend. I used a 3000 watt oven element. This replaced two 1100 watt finned strip heater. The oven elements are cheap... about $25. Running empty, I can hit 200 degrees in about 20 to 25 minutes from cold. works very well.

Mine is about half the size of yours. If I remember correctly, Iceman has a 2 door unit like that. I think he runs 2 large elements in it as well.

I'm not done with mine just yet. I'm waiting for some parts from Auber to setup a secondary controller which will operate as a high limit control in conjunction with a contactor. Because I have mine built into my heated garage I want it to be as safe as possible. Total cost for the additional controller and the contactor is about $50 so it is a fairly cheap safety device. By doing this if my main PID or SSR or TC failed and allowed the element to run full throttle once the temp hit the preset level on the second controller all power is shutdown by the contactor. Once I get this all put together I will post some pictures and details.

I'll try and grab some pictures of my new element setup for you as well.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

smokeitall

Mike, your always improving or tinkering...nice
SIA

Mr Walleye

I've been so busy at work and home I haven't had time to play. I gotta get caught up!  ;D

Anyway, I ran out to the garage and took a couple of pictures of the element install and the drip pan setup.

Here's one looking down showing the drip pan protection...

Here's another one showing a front view of the drip pan setup...

This is a little closer view of the same angle...

Here is one with the drip pan above the element removed.

The one thing the picture really doesn't show is the sheet pan under the element is spaced about 1 inch off the bottom of the smoker. I did this to allow some cooling effect to the bottom of the smoker.

Mike

smokeitall

that looks like it will provide some even heating.  are you still using the blower?
SIA

Mr Walleye

I am still using the blower. I have the intake drawing air from the element area and exhausting it above the higher drip pan. I haven't smoked anything since I did it on the weekend but did run a few tests and the cabinet temps, once at your target setting, are pretty even in the cabinet.

Mike

classicrockgriller

Thanks for posting the pics Mike.

I "hope" to pick up the fridge Friday and I will post some more pics of it.

I hope this is not out of my mentality to do.

I do have a smart friend that can help me.

NePaSmoKer

I need someone to do mine too. I not very eeeeeelectronicly savvy  :D