• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Top vent on smoker

Started by highmarkho, February 16, 2010, 03:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highmarkho

I have the Bradley Original 4 tray smoker and still do not really understand the Top Vent.  Do I close it or leave it open?  I have always kept it closed when making my suasages.  The reason I have kept it closed is so I can get it up to temperature better.  I am new to this entire process, any help is appreciated.

thanks

classicrockgriller

I would never close my vent all the way.

Chicken and sausage has lots of moisture that needs to get out of the cabinet.

My vent is always 3/4 to full open.

BigJohnT

I walk on the wild side and close mine almost down to 1/2 sometimes but not any more

JT

OU812

Welcome to the fun highmarkho

Belive it or not your smoker will work better with the vent open, as it lets the moisture out and by doin that it helps the draft, kinda like a wood stove. The moisture will absorb the heat and the smoker will have troubles maintaining heat, by letting the moisture out heat will stay in the smoker and not in the moisture. Also if the moisture builds up it will drip black stuff back on your sausage, which aint good. It could also build up in the smoke generator and cause some major problems with it.

I keep mine wide open.

squirtthecat

My vent is fused about 3/4 open..  (yeah, I need to take it apart and clean it)

BigJohnT

I asked my wife to clean the door gasket once and she took the vent apart and cleaned it and put it all back together... I was impressed with her mechanical skills even if she cleaned the wrong thing  :o

JT

classicrockgriller

Quote from: BigJohnT on February 16, 2010, 04:29:33 PM
I asked my wife to clean the door gasket once and she took the vent apart and cleaned it and put it all back together... I was impressed with her mechanical skills even if she cleaned the wrong thing  :o

JT

Just shows you need to be careful what you ask them gals to do. ;D

That's funny!

BigJohnT

She said it needed cleaning worse than the gasket... like the cat that falls off the couch and gives you the "I meant to do that look while they walk off" and you get the talk to the butt from the cat LOL

JT

OU812

Quote from: BigJohnT on February 16, 2010, 04:29:33 PM

JT

Now thats funny.

classicrockgriller

himarkho, we get a little off topic sometimes and I'm usually the cause of it.

But OU812 explain the need to keep the vent open and the reasoning behind the need to keep the vent open.

BTW, welcome to the forum and come back and join the fun.

BigJohnT

highmarkho,

The rule of thumb is "keep it open when in doubt" I might on occasion close it during a preheat but never when smoking

JT

Habanero Smoker

Hi highmarkho,

Here is a guide with suggested openings, for different foods. You can start with these openings and you should be able to adjust from there. I do most of my smokes with the vent 1/4 - 1/2 open.

Vent Openings

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

highmarkho

Thanks a lot.  I am always running out and checking the temperature on the smoker and adjusting pretty regularly.  Maybe with the vent opened some it will work better.  The sausages have always tasted good, not too dry and not too moist.  But like everyone said, it could do damage to the smoke generator and also other problems and I do not want that.  I am in Montana and most of my smoking is done in the winter so it is really cold, I always kept it closed to get to the right temperature, but not anymore.

Thanks.

OU812

Now that you got the skinny on the vent dont be shy with showin us some of your killer sausages and stuff.