• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

GM Or Deer Sticks

Started by NePaSmoKer, February 19, 2010, 07:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Here is a recipe i thought i lost. You can use 80/20 GB or ground venison with a pork cut in. You can smoke or oven these sticks.

Ingredients you will need.

1lb ground beef 80/20 or ground deer
1 1/2 tsp salt or tenderizer if available (i found the tenderizer taste better) your opt though.
1 tsp of liquid smoke (if not going to use smoker)
3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp fennel seeds, slightly crushed
1/4 tsp anise seed
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cure #1
1/4 cup water
17 or 19mm collagen casing

If using venison you will need 1/2 lb of pork butt w/fat

Mix together well and combine all ingredients into the water, mixing until thoroughly blended and mix into the meat. Set mixture in bowl and cover. Refrigerate overnight then stuff. Or you can stuff right after mixing and put stuffed casings into the fridge overnight.

Bake or smoke sticks. If baking, bake at 170 degrees for 3 to 4 hours. Turn the sticks every hour to ensure evenness.

If smoking, use hickory pucks and smoke with 3-6 pucks. Start heat at 150* bumping to 175* until done.

Bloom at room temp until cool. When i use GB i let mine bloom for 4 hours. If you use the venison/pork use a cold water rinse and then room temp for 1 hour. Cut to length the vac seal or refrigerate.  Freezes well too.

classicrockgriller

If I was to use ground venison:

Would I use a 1/2 lb of venison and a 1/2 lb of pork w/ fat?

Tenpoint5

CRG most use the 60/40 ratio. It gets a little dry for my tastes so I use the 50/50 mix. I think Nepas is saying use straight Venison and add a 1/2 lb of pork butt with fat.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 19, 2010, 07:33:19 AM
CRG most use the 60/40 ratio. It gets a little dry for my tastes so I use the 50/50 mix. I think Nepas is saying use straight Venison and add a 1/2 lb of pork butt with fat.

OK, to make a lb of this use 1/2 venison and 1/2 pork w/fat. Correct?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 19, 2010, 07:27:44 AM
If I was to use ground venison:

Would I use a 1/2 lb of venison and a 1/2 lb of pork w/ fat?

1lb venison and cut in 1/2lb pork butt. So this will be 1 1/2lbs before smoking.

I will make this and post pics if i can find some anise seeds somewhere.  I'm outta it.

classicrockgriller

thanks nepas,

I think I got a brain f*rt stuck in my head this morning.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 19, 2010, 08:47:23 AM
thanks nepas,

I think I got a brain f*rt stuck in my head this morning.

I get brain cramps too  :D  ;D

HuntinFool

I tried this recipe just two days ago.  Found it on http://smokeysticks.com/beef-jerky-deer-steak-jerky-recipes.php

Although I like black licorice, I do not like my smoked meat tasting like it and this one had a little too much of that taste for me (with all the aniset and fennel)

I added cure and smoked mine at a lower temp than what the website called for.  not a bad stick, but not my cup of tea.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: HuntinFool on February 20, 2010, 09:21:36 AM
I tried this recipe just two days ago.  Found it on http://smokeysticks.com/beef-jerky-deer-steak-jerky-recipes.php

Although I like black licorice, I do not like my smoked meat tasting like it and this one had a little too much of that taste for me (with all the aniset and fennel)

I added cure and smoked mine at a lower temp than what the website called for.  not a bad stick, but not my cup of tea.

Thats the site. I tried to contact them being they are close to me but my calls go un answered.

I cut back on the fennel and anise. This is 5lbs

NePaSmoKer

Doing these sticks 2 different ways. This half in 6 rack with pecan. See non Bradley section for the other half.

NePaSmoKer

Got this batch all done. Bloom time now for a few hours.

NePaSmoKer

The sticks done in my 6 rack.  They dont taste like licorice.  The other half of this batch is in the Non Bradley Area.

Indy Smoker

Explain what is mean't by 'BLOOM' please

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Indy Smoker on February 21, 2010, 08:14:08 PM
Explain what is mean't by 'BLOOM' please

Blooming is letting your sausage age and dry. This also makes the sausage take a deep redish or brown color. Sometimes i shower in cold water then hang or just let the sausage hang at room temp for 2-3 hours.

mow_delon

sure look good.  Do they taste as good as some of your other stick creations?

Gonna have to give it a try if it passes your taste test.