• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Replacing/adding heating element

Started by texjauto, February 20, 2010, 04:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texjauto

Live in Texas so cold is not too much of a problem but I think I want to add another heating element.  Is there direction somewhere on here with instructions?  I've looked but can't seem to find any.

Tried to smoke beer can chickens last night (50-60 degrees) and the temperature never got above 110 degrees so I have to assume that the heating element needs replaced.  Plus I think I want to add an additional one.

I have had my 6-rack digital smoker for a little over a year and had lots of quality issues with it.  Straight out of the box it needed to electrical parts replaced by Bradley and the bowl have a hole in it.  Once I got everything replaced, it has worked great up until now.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Jim

classicrockgriller

try this link.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Did you have to move your Bradley to a different location from where it has been?

texjauto

It is an semi-enclosed (blocks wind) patio.  I have moved it to several locations within the patio.  Currently, it is on top of a table.  Do you think I have dislodged something?  Is there instructions on how to check the heating element?

classicrockgriller

I was actually thinking if you had started using a different plug.

MPTubbs

I have also done 2 beer can chickens at the same time in my D6R.

It takes a loooong time to cook. (lots of moisture)

Is your element glowing red hot?

Was your vent wide open? (needs to be)

How many times did you take a peek?

I have added the second element to my D6R and my OBS because of the Nebraska's winters and it makes a big difference!

If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

smokeitall

Quote from: texjauto on February 20, 2010, 04:46:11 PM
It is an semi-enclosed (blocks wind) patio.  I have moved it to several locations within the patio.  Currently, it is on top of a table.  Do you think I have dislodged something?  Is there instructions on how to check the heating element?

Since you have moved it several times you may want to check to make sure your connections are snug.  110 sounds like the smoke generator 125 watt element only.
SIA

texjauto

I wish it was that simple but it is the same plug.

texjauto

Quote from: MPTubbs on February 20, 2010, 04:55:49 PM
I have also done 2 beer can chickens at the same time in my D6R.

It takes a loooong time to cook. (lots of moisture)

Is your element glowing red hot? **** Not sure ****

Was your vent wide open? (needs to be) **** It wasn't wide open but it was open a little.  Why wide open? *****

How many times did you take a peek? ****Three or four over a long period *****

I have added the second element to my D6R and my OBS because of the Nebraska's winters and it makes a big difference!

MPTubbs

Preheat your smoker for about 10 min. Open the door and see if your element is glowing red hot or close to it.

It seems to me that the more miles you put on the element the less red it will glow.

If the element is glowing red then you have other problems like venting.

Vent needs to be wide open on poultry. The high moisture content  (birds, cans of beer, water bowl) will COOL down the tower if not vented fast.

Peeking 3-4 times over a long period. How long?

I only open the door to rotate racks or to mop. I also add a couple of foil wrapped bricks to the tower to add mass. Hot mass = quicker temp. recovery after opening the door.

Paddlinpaul

Quote from: MPTubbs on February 21, 2010, 06:45:58 AM

I also add a couple of foil wrapped bricks to the tower to add mass. Hot mass = quicker temp. recovery after opening the door.

Shiny side in or out with the foil?
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

MPTubbs

Quote from: Paddlinpaul on February 21, 2010, 07:13:10 AM
Quote from: MPTubbs on February 21, 2010, 06:45:58 AM

I also add a couple of foil wrapped bricks to the tower to add mass. Hot mass = quicker temp. recovery after opening the door.

Shiny side in or out with the foil?

:D :D :D

Shiny side in or out.

It won't matter after a few smokes....they'll turn brown.

Quarlow

If you think about a pot of water, it takes alot of heat to get it hot. So when you have chickens in the smoker they have alot of moisture in them and as you start to heat the chickens you release the moisture to the air. Now you have  moisture rich air in there to try to heat up and you need to get rid of it quick or the smoker will stay cool. With poultry you want the vent wide open.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

One year sounds too quick to be losing a heating element.

Sounds like some is loose, or the Bradley is not getting enough power.

Are you using a extention cord?

texjauto

It is on a GFCI circuit of about 15A's and since it didn't blow, I have to assume power is ok.  I am also using a high quality 15A rated extension cord. 

ArnieM

I agree with SIA in that it sounds like only the SG is running.  My OBS was hitting 90o in 35o temps with only the SG on.  That could indicate a loose connection to the cabinet or, of course, a bad heating element in the cabinet. 
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.