Puck feeder sticking problem..... Please help!!

Started by idahosmoke, February 21, 2010, 06:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idahosmoke

Hi there, firstly I want to thank all of you, especially the mods for keeping this site up to date, informative, and giving out your tips for newbs like myself. I bought a BDS last August and have loved it smoking many of the recipes you guys have been so kind to post.

This weekend I was doing my usual babyback recipe and the puck-feeder malfunctioned on me and would not slide all the way back letting the pucks drop in. After I finished with the ribs (with only about 3 pucks worth of smoke), I cleaned everything out as much as I could and ran the feeder back and forth helping it open up all the way manually thinking there was just some loose chips causing the blockage, but this still hasnt fixed the problem. I think it is the weight of the pucks that is causing it to get stuck and not fully open. I tested it with half the stack full and it is still getting stuck.

Is there something I should be doing or do I have to dis-assemble the entire unit to clean it out or try to figure out if there is something causing it to stick?

I purchased this at Cabelas but there is no way I will be able to find my receipt if I will need to return it. I have put about 2-3 full boxes of pucks through the unit and have the box well seasoned, so I would really rather not trade in for a new unit.

Any suggestions or help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

classicrockgriller

classicrockgriller

idahosmoke

Thank you. I am not having any problems with the button itself sticking, it is the shuttle sticking. From what I read it sounds like I need to dis-assemble the unit and make sure everything is clean.

Firstly, is there a warranty associated with the unit and secondly, by opening up the generator would this void any possible warranties?

Tiny Tim

You're okay on warranty, time wise, and Brian (moderator here that works for Bradley) has said cracking the generator open to diagnose doesn't void the warranty.

classicrockgriller

no, you will not void the warranty.

Actually sounds like something is in the way.

Look over the FAQ'S link.

Under "how to clean your gen" shows you how to take it apart.

Sorry you are having problems.

Let us know if we can help.

classicrockgriller

idahosmoke

Yes and No. Typically indoors, but I did have a bunch that were outside. Does that cause them to be more brittle? and cause it to clog up?

I had left about 5 hickory pucks in the unit outside, so maybe that could lie the problem?? Is it a dryness issue with the pucks from being outside? There was definately no moisture in the pucks though.

classicrockgriller

That might be your problem.

Wood absorbs moisture and swells.

Tenpoint5

You might also try checking the tube. It may have been bumped or with everything you have been doing it is not seated properly. Give it a twist and see if that will help seat it down all the way. Sometimes it gets moved and the pucks hang up on the lip that it rests on.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 21, 2010, 06:57:22 PM
You might also try checking the tube. It may have been bumped or with everything you have been doing it is not seated properly. Give it a twist and see if that will help seat it down all the way. Sometimes it gets moved and the pucks hang up on the lip that it rests on.

I forgot that happened to me once. :D

idahosmoke

Alright, opened up the generator and cleaned everything I could. It didnt look gummed up or anything but cleaned it anyway. Tested it with some pressure on the shuttle and it seemed to work ok. It could be possible a few of the pucks grew a bit from being outside?? hopefully it was just something simple like that. This gives me a reason for a mid-week smoke ;D

Here are picks of when I opened it up.

classicrockgriller

idahosmoke

I didnt take apart the shuttle assembly, but was able to get a rag and ear cleaner into all the spots to make sure it was clean.

Thanks for all your help. I will throw away the outside pucks and give it a try in a day or so. Hopefully that was all the problem was and not a motor needing replaced.

classicrockgriller