• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cold smoking

Started by high desert smoker, February 21, 2010, 07:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

high desert smoker

Howdy All!

I had a little fire in my OBS when i was finishing the Super Bowl baby backs, and I'm fairly heartbroken since the heat element doesn't work anymore, among other things, and this is not a good time to buy another.

My question is how long can I can cold smoke ribs and brisket without brining. I would prepare them the usual way with mustard and seasoning and wrap in pastic overnight in the fridge. My idea is to cold smoke, put them in the big easy to cook, and finish and sauce on my propane grill like always.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: high desert smoker on February 21, 2010, 07:27:32 PM
Howdy All!

I had a little fire in my OBS when i was finishing the Super Bowl baby backs, and I'm fairly heartbroken since the heat element doesn't work anymore, among other things, and this is not a good time to buy another.

My question is how long can I can cold smoke ribs and brisket without brining. I would prepare them the usual way with mustard and seasoning and wrap in pastic overnight in the fridge. My idea is to cold smoke, put them in the big easy to cook, and finish and sauce on my propane grill like always.

What is a little fire?

What caused the fire?

When they get hot enough for a fire, something not good happens in them.

Have you removed the back to see how much insulsation got torched?

high desert smoker

Yeah, I did, and it's pretty fried. I neglected to remove the old pucks, and one ignited. I peeked in and saw a small flame, and i opened it to save my ribs. The smoking unit and puck advancer is intact. I just want to try and use it with the wood I have since a Bradley rep told me my only option is to buy a new one.

classicrockgriller

First of all, I would remove the back panel (I know 25 screws)

Look at the condition of the insulation.

If the insulation was dripping, or is crisp, IMPO I wouldn't use it.

Man I hate that.

Thor

Sounds like a good argument to have a remote sensor with alarm like a Maverick (but one that actually transmits more than 10 feet). 
If you got it, smoke it.

Habanero Smoker

Hi high desert smoker,

Sorry to have to welcome you to the forum under such circumstances.

I would say you can still use the box as a cold smoker, but as a precaution remove the cord from the cabinet and store it somewheres so someone doesn't mistakenly plug the cabinet in. You will need to clean the inside cabinet, and season it again or you food will have a burnt taste to it.

For solid muscle, salt in the seasoning, and smoke's antimicrobial properties will provide some additional protection from food borne bacteria; plus you are also using mustard so you have increased the acidity. I saw an episode on "Good Eats" when Alton Brown mentioned the same, but then the men in the black suits read the official USFDA warning. :) I'm just providing the additional information so you can make a decision; I don't want to say that you can go beyond the 2 hour limit in the danger zone (40°F - 140°F).

For baby back ribs it should be safe to cold smoke for two hours, just transfer the ribs directly from the refrigerator to the smoker, then you can finish them on the grill or oven. Two hours should be enough smoke for ribs. For brisket, I'm not sure if two hours is enough, I would say 3 hours in minimal for brisket, but keep in mind the danger zone. Like with the rib, move the meat directly from the refrigerator to the smoker, then finish in the over.

When you do cold smoke, you will need to preheat the generator. This will also preheat the cabinet, so prior to loading your food open the door and let the heat escape.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

high desert smoker

Thanks Habs; I can always count on you for the low down. I've read several of your posts already. I think you're right about the difference between ribs and brisket. The brisket probably will need a little more smoke, and I'm thinking about giving it one hour in my little weber go anywhere gas grill set on low with two pucks set on each side of the flavor bar. The grate is just roomy enough for a large costco brisket.

Thor

Depending on your DIY skills could you possibly repair it ?  Looking at the heater element and wiring mods, this unit seems fairly simple and most of the parts seem available and fairly inexpensive.   If the insulation is fried I would think it could be replaced also, but I have not seen any info on that.  Just a thought.
If you got it, smoke it.

smokeitall

Hey HDS do you have a picture of your smoker you could post?  Like Thor said maybe you can get a few components from Y&P and get it back to working condition.
SIA

high desert smoker

Thanks guys, I will post pictures a little later when I have a chance. It did get pretty fried, and the insulation was popping like corn after the fire. The interior walls are pretty charred and warped as well.

Habanero Smoker

Seeing that the first thing you did was open the cabinet, I believe this is a good time to post this FAQ.

I just want to mention that the Bradley Smoker is a safe product, but with any appliance that uses heat, even your counter top toaster, it can cause a fire.

What to do if you suspect a fire in your smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

high desert smoker

That's a great post, Habs, and one that should be read by all Bradley owners. I unforunately read it the day after my fire when I was researching for similar occurences. I had it for almost two years, but the nearly 12 hours it took to smoke six racks, and my carelessness, created the conditions previously described. I had buddies coming for the Super Bowl, and all I could think of was saving the ribs. The only consolation was that the ribs were among my absolute best, and the boys damn near ate a rack apiece! Oh well.....live and learn!

squirtthecat

Well, at the very least, your OBS "died with it's boots on"..

NePaSmoKer

Sorry to hear about the fires some members have had.

If Ya'll need to take a refresher course on smoking, Gimmie a call....................Just trying to make a smile out of a bad situation  ;D