• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie probe question

Started by gryffandor, February 22, 2010, 12:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gryffandor

Hi all,  I've been lurking for about a week & couldn't stand it any longer.  OBS & lots of pucks to be delivered tomorrow from Amazon.  I also got an ET-73 & some bubba pucks.  Of course the forecast here in Big D is for snow again (can you believe it ?) so I might have to put off my maiden trial till the weekend. I have some ribs ready to go & the 10.5 recipe in hand.  The Maverick came today & I wondered if most of you drop both probes down the vent or pass them through the door seal?  The leads are only 30" long (I expected longer) & wondered if there was an advantage to either method?

TIA
Steve

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum gryffandor.  ;D

It's really a personal preference to run the probes through the door or the vent.

I like to use the door myself and it helps with the length of the leads.
HawkeyeSmokes

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum gryffandor!

I've run them either way, they tend to get in the way no matter what you do.

Note that if your probe is ABOVE a piece of cold meat, you will not get an accurrate reading.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

Welcome gryffandor, I drop mine through the vent, but some have been saying that moisture will work its way down and damage the TC. So far I've been lucky.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

xcrider

If you drop them thru the vent you can do a little drop loop if you have enough length to stop the moisture from entering the probe.

classicrockgriller

I go thru the door.

Less confussion and don't have to worry about the moisture.