• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Buy a brisket online?

Started by bozer, February 22, 2010, 04:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bozer

Is there any place I could buy a brisket to use for my first bradley brisket?

I've wanted to try making one for so long now, but they don't seem to sell them anyplace in NYC.

Perhaps its a bad idea to even buy one online?

ronbeaux

It's a little pricey but will be the best brisket you ever had bar none.

http://secure.abfoodsusa.com/ABCommerce/product-detail/prodid/16/product-name/Brisket.2

Comes shipped near frozen overnight to your door.

Top of the line and is what a lot of comp cooks use.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

HawkeyeSmokes

Have you tried checking Costco, Sam's Club or WalMart?
HawkeyeSmokes

MPTubbs

No brisket in NYC.....get a rope!

;)
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Paddlinpaul

The brisket is the only beef I could afford off that website. 4 X 10oz ribeyes are $199 - WTF!
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

JF7FSU

You need to see a local butcher on the lower east side.  Briskets are plentiful in NY.  Most supermarkets will special order one for you if you ask the butcher.
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

bozer

Oh dear god that Kobe beef one.. I'm so buying that.

Now since it will be the first time I'm making a brisket, what is the absolute fool proof recipe?

How many people can I feed? I realize its $60 but I figure I could feed 8 people with that thing.

bozer

But seriously, give me the most fool proof bradley smoker recipe for this. I have the original OBS. What do I need to do. I'm salivating now. OMG

JF7FSU

Read the post by Pachanga titled "Brisket Pachanga" for a foolproof method.

Seriously though, I don't know where you are in NY but any Kosher Butcher in the city will have briskets.  No need to order one unless of course you like paying double. 
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

Habanero Smoker

Bozer;

With all the deli's down there that make their own pastrami, one of them should be able to provide you with a source. I'm sure there has got to be plenty of places. If not, and if you have a vehicle, do some research on places with 50 miles. I'm sure you will find a place upstate that will provide you with a whole brisket. Driving 30 - 80 miles upstate still has to be cheaper then buying online, and plus you can make a day trip out of it; there are a lot of sites to visit in the Hudson Valley. Or even try NJ or CT.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bozer

Since its Kobe beef I presume this would be the best brisket ever. And $60 may seem like a lot, but I spend over $100 to feed two people when I go out to dinner. I'm figuring I can feed 4 families for $60 with this thing.

Caneyscud

I have yet to smoke a Kobe (or similar) brisket.  But I have partaken of one someone else had smoked Wagyu brisket (similar).  I will say, it was about as I expected.  A different dish altogether.  Yes it was brisket, but brisket with more mouth feel, sublime, almost uctuous.  The flat was divine.  The flat was almost too fatty, but when you found those morsels of meat that have been bathed in their own personal sauna of hot melted wagyu fat - wow.  Silky, sublime and sexy are the only three words I could describe it with.  The taste was not all that different - the flat maybe a little beefier, and the point not so much.  It did not neat any additional "beef" flavor with all the goodness from the marbling and fat.  The texture of the whole thing was a little looser - due to all the intramuscular fat.  It was very good and worth a try every now an then when you want to impress someone who would be impressed with Kobe/Wagyu beef.  The only tip he said was that it did not take as long to cook to tenderness - duh - it is kobe beef isn't it!  But because of the marbling - it is very forgiving and he would probably do it again slower - 200 to 220 a little longer to render a little more fat.  For my smoke I envision the brisket in an upper rack with a pan of peppers, onion, and potatoes beneath it catching all that goodness dripping from it.  To be followed up with some Yorkshire puddings to also use up those drippings. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

bozer

Caneyscud would you mind posting or linking me to a recipe for this particular brisket?

I don't.. don't ... don't want to mess this up.

Caneyscud

Sure, but let me reiterate - I have not cooked one yet, a friend did, but doesn't have a recipe.  However, I have been interested in how these fare in competitions for awhile now - actually not too well usually - Prime seems to do better - maybe too much fat or too out of the usual for the judges.  Either way, I am not a fan of KCBS judged brisket - not what I like, but have to cook it their way to place. 

The one bookmark I have had for awhile is this one

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5396&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

And I was alerted to this one recently

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/super-bowl-wagyu-brisket-163229/

The other thing I want to try is Kobe short ribs and Kobe sliders.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"