• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

A couple of questions about a sausage from the 1800's

Started by big kahuna, February 24, 2010, 11:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

big kahuna

I'm a new OBS owner. I have smoked for years (no pun intended) with one of those cheap tower water smokers. I have also dabbled in sausage making. Brats, breakfast sausage G sausage, links etc.

My family makes a sausage that my grandma made using pork shoulder, a small amount of liver, cooked, ground and recooked adding oatmeal,  spices, mainly allspice, garlic, salt, pepper, and in my case cayenne.

My dad, and I, out of six siblings, are some of the only ones that still make it. We make it "loose" and put it in loaf pans and just fry it.

When my dad and his 12 siblings had it at "home" they put it into rings, boiled it,  and smoked it in the smokehouse with their hams and stuff when they butchered hogs.

Enough of the background.

We are having a family reunion. My dad and his siblings are all 80 and above.

I would like to recreate that for them. Any help would be appreciated, I was wondering about boil times, cures, and smoke times and temp.

Tanks

big kahuna

Oh yes,
I seem to remember that one time I just stuffed it into tubes and smoked it,  it sort of split open in the smoker.
Who knows what temp it was at, and I didn't boil it first.
I'd kind of like to nail this as they're probably not going to taste this sausage again.
I know the spices, just don't know how to do it without alot of costly experimenting. Let's face it there's only so much of this you can eat before you get sick of it.
Thanks again

KevinG

I've never made that before, but I suspect the oatmeal is making it split, as it expands when absorbing moisture. You may want to cook the oatmeal first (with water), then add it, that way it won't expand too much more. It's either that or I believe you might be overstuffing. As far as times go, I usually don't use time - I go by temp, and I rarely exceed 165 internal temp for any uncured sausage and 156 for any cured.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

big kahuna

I will add that I cook the oatmeal (quik cooking) with the meat for a while till it's thick enough. My aunts all say she used oatmeal, and that they were doing hams at the same time. I didn't boil the sausage. She did,

NePaSmoKer

big kahuna

Very close but a little different. So how would you it?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: big kahuna on February 24, 2010, 01:43:45 PM
Very close but a little different. So how would you it?

Replace the oatmeal with buckwheat flour

Caneyscud

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 24, 2010, 01:39:37 PM
Almost sounds like a scrapple recipe.

Or a version of Blutwurst or  Black pudding without the blood. - which would of course make it a White Pudding or Mealy Pudding.  But they don't usually have liver, although I am thinking I've seen some old recipes that had brain in them, which usually has a mild liver flavor.  I am also thinking of Goetta - but again, no liver. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

big kahuna

I think maybe the original recipe had the head and other things in it. And yes she cooked brains too. She used to make tounge sandwhiches on homemade buns that were to die for.

big kahuna

She made blood sausage too, but this had liver from the hog in it too, sometimes, according to my aunts heart and other parts. Usually a bunch of fatty meaty bones as well.

big kahuna

OK, So I see this is VERY close to scrapple, only a little different, maybe regional. So, how would you guys start going about it? I want to do this for a couple of reasons, but mainly because, after 30 years of not attending this stupid reunion, it is in my home town, I have too, and, if I have too, I'd rather be in the kitchen. so I thought I would use the OBS to make pulled pork, brisket, and most importantly, this sausage. I thought I'd make some different sauces as well. If you guys can't pull my ti-- out of the wringer I may have to bail,

big kahuna

Please think about it, guys. Any input would put me in your debt. I think there was a strong czech (sp) influence in that area as well if that helps.

NePaSmoKer

watchdog56

I was watching Andrew Bourdain this weekend and they were in Prague. They chopped up the whole pig and used everything from guts,feet,head and blood. They made different types of dishes and they even made sausage which they stuffed by hand. This was a family event and everyone had their jobs. This might be what you are looking for;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wASkHZWWA68

big kahuna

If you were going to stuff scrapple into a casing, boil and smoke it, how long would you boil it and how long and what temp would you smoke it?