• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

A couple of questions about a sausage from the 1800's

Started by big kahuna, February 24, 2010, 11:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: big kahuna on February 25, 2010, 06:36:41 AM
If you were going to stuff scrapple into a casing, boil and smoke it, how long would you boil it and how long and what temp would you smoke it?

Here is a scrapple recipe for you. Its Amish style.

2 pounds pork shoulder (or pork butt)
1 whole fresh pork hock
1-2 pounds pork liver, snouts or head (opt)
2 cups yellow or white cornmeal or 1 1/2 cup buckwheat flour.
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon sage
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
2 teaspoons black pepper

Cut up pork shoulder (butt) into 2 inch chunks. Place the pork chunks, pork hock, sage and cayenne in a stock pot and cover with water. Simmer for about 2 to 3 hours or until meat falls apart. Drain and reserve stock.
Pull meat from bone and chop all the meat with a knife or food processor, being careful not to grind it too fine. Set aside.
Measure 5 cups of stock and return to pot. Bring it to a simmer; add meat, cornmeal, salt and peppers, and stir constantly until thick and smooth,  to avoid clumping about 15 to 30 minutes.

Pour mixture into 2 loaf pans and refrigerate until completely chilled. Un-mold scrapple. Slice and fry until golden brown and crisp on both sides.

If you want to stuff and smoke you will need to add the right amount of cure #1 and stuff into fibrous casing or natural bung style casing. Smoke with 4 pucks of pecan @180* After smoking refrigerate immediately. Sometimes he stuffed the scrapple inside a clean washed and trimmed pork stomach.

This is how my Amish friend make it. Sorry i cant be of more help as i don't like scrapple type sausage.

Caneyscud

Quote from: watchdog56 on February 24, 2010, 08:04:53 PM
I was watching Andrew Bourdain this weekend and they were in Prague. They chopped up the whole pig and used everything from guts,feet,head and blood. They made different types of dishes and they even made sausage which they stuffed by hand. This was a family event and everyone had their jobs. This might be what you are looking for;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wASkHZWWA68
Saw that, and although I'm not crazy about Bourdain (actually can't stand him), I did like the show.  I was ok on everything and would like to taste everything except the blood soup.  Had a bad experience with something that looked like that once! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

big kahuna

I just saw the susage making link in your other post, NePas. You need acure because of the low smoke temp I assume. Thank you for your help.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: big kahuna on February 25, 2010, 09:06:09 AM
I just saw the susage making link in your other post, NePas. You need acure because of the low smoke temp I assume. Thank you for your help.

Yes anytime you smoke sausage (especially with pork in it) you should add cure

big kahuna

big kahuna

One last question, I sorry to be such a pain in the a++. Would you figure the cure ratio by the actual poundage of the meat, or the poundage of the cooked sausage (with oatmeal)?

squirtthecat

You are curing the meat, so I would go with that weight.. (not the other filler stuff)

big kahuna

Cool! Thanks! I hate to change the way they did it too much, but I'd rather not send them all to the horsepital

big kahuna

One more question. Can the cure be added just before stuffing, boiling and smoking?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: big kahuna on February 28, 2010, 07:31:55 AM
One more question. Can the cure be added just before stuffing, boiling and smoking?

Add the cure to any liquid that is going to be added into the meat. IMHO if your going to stuff and boil i would not add cure. Only add cure if your going to stuff and smoke.

Cure #1, is 1 level tsp per every 5 pounds of meat.

Adding dry ingredients to the meat can make clumps and will not incorporate very good. I always add my dry to the liquid and mix before adding to the meat.