16 months ago

Started by RossP, February 24, 2010, 04:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossP

Well it has been about 16 months since I had my last cigarette. I am now feeling better, I can climb stairs without losing by breath, I do not stink like an ashtray and I always seem to have cash in my pocket. The down side is I have gained about 30 pounds also. I do not eat any more than I use to, but as the Doc says smoking increases your metabolism rate. Well now I have taken the plunge again to lose the weight. I am on a healthy diet (Sure Slim) lost 11 pound in the first 3 weeks and also seeing a personal trainer, or as I call her the Dominatrix. I started both the Diet and the personal trainer on the same week. Three weeks down and I can feel and see the difference. Costing me a bundle since both the wife and Myself are doing it but we are doing it. I figure that the money we have saved from smoking, yes she quit also, but a month before me. I had to wait to quit smoking until I was not as annoying to her. ;) 

My Stats:
Your Quit Date is:  10/24/2008 10:00:00 AM
Time Smoke-Free: 488 days, 9 hours, 26 minutes    
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 14652
Lifetime Saved:  3 months, 21 days, 22 hours
Money Saved: $5,124.00

and this is just for me, never mind what the wife smoked also.
This is also how we paid for Christmas in Mexico this year.  ;D
It's tough on this diet not being allowed any taters, pasta or rice. I cannot even have any of my smoked salmon because I used sugar in it.  I have come up with some good spice rubs for chicken and fish. I will post them a little later when I get home from work.

Ross

Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Tiny Tim

Congratulations on the milestone. 

Paddlinpaul

I too quit smoking many years ago though. I am now at weight watchers and have lost 10lbs in the last 5 weeks. I think cigarettes are easier to quit than food and I did cigarettes cold turkey. mmm, turkey. Oops.
Weight Watchers seems less restrictive, been eating smoked salmon for two weeks now. Whatever is working for you, keep it up. All Your good work is worth it.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

NePaSmoKer

KevinG

Good for you! I've been working on my weight too, found that drinking a lot of water helps with the hunger pangs. The hard part is having guests over, I always try to buy for them and end up with leftovers for me.  :(
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Paddlinpaul

Quote from: KevinG on February 24, 2010, 06:26:10 PM
Good for you! I've been working on my weight too, found that drinking a lot of water helps with the hunger pangs. The hard part is having guests over, I always try to buy for them and end up with leftovers for me.  :(

Try to send the leftovers home with them. Tell them you want them to enjoy the smoked stuff, you get it all the time. Helps you and makes you look like a nice guy. Double win.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

car54

Wow.

That takes a huge amount of will power. Happy for you.

Brad

3rensho

Congratulations!!  That takes some will power.  I quit cold turkey coming up on 40 years ago and have never regretted it.  Gained weight too but that can come off.  You've done the hard part.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Thats Awesome Ross keep up the good work.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

carnie1

Congratulations!! , Will be 7 years for me next month, haven't regretted it a bit

seemore

You go Ross!  And the same to your wife! 
Mrs

Caneyscud

Ross,  That is inspirational.  Keep it going Bud.

I've got pounds coming off now also - simpatico.

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

Way to go Ross, keep it up.

I need to quit chewin, cant seem to be able to get over the hump.