• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Smoke - Rib Rub Feedback Please

Started by OTB, February 24, 2010, 07:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTB

I am hoping to make my first batch of ribs this weekend in my new DBS4 that arrived today.

After reading a whole bunch of recipes on this forum I have decided to make them via the 10.5 method.  I also read a bunch of rub recipes and have tried to come up with my own, based upon the recipes I have found.

Please let me know if you think my ingredients and measurements will be correct or even taste good.

* 1 TBS Garlic powder
    * 1 TBS Onion Powder
    * 2 TBS Kosher Salt (not table salt)
    * 2 Teaspoons Cayenne Powder
    * 2 Teaspoons Ancho Chili Powder
    * 1 Teaspoon Cumin
    * 1 TBS Black Pepper
    * 1 TBS White Pepper
    * 1 Cup Brown Sugar
    * 1/2 Cup Paprika

Thanks in advance, and thanks to all the folks that posted their recipes that I based this off of.

Ka Honu

I probably use less sugar and salt than you've indicated but it's all a matter of personal preference.  Best way to go is probably to make up a batch and taste it - then adjust to your liking. Start off with less of the "big scoop" ingredients (in your case, sugar, paprika, and maybe salt).  It's easier to add them after tasting than try to balance everything else if there's too much.

Gizmo

I don't use sugar in most of the rubs I do.  I would agree with Ka Honu on cutting back on the amount of sugar.  You may need to watch sugar based rubs carefully as the sugar will burn easily. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

OTB

Thanks for the feedback.

Is there a rub that you would recommend? 

The amounts of sugar and salt in this recipe were based upon recipes from this site, so I probably just mashed too many recipes together.

If you have a good recipe you want to share, that would be great.  I would hate to mess up my first try in my new smoker.

Thanks!!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OTB on February 24, 2010, 08:34:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Is there a rub that you would recommend? 

The amounts of sugar and salt in this recipe were based upon recipes from this site, so I probably just mashed too many recipes together.

If you have a good recipe you want to share, that would be great.  I would hate to mess up my first try in my new smoker.

Thanks!!

Your first smoke will be great cause you have put the time into making it a great smoke.

anderson5420

Cut the sugar but don't eliminate it - try 1/2 cup - that is what carmelizes to make the nice crunchy crust on the ribs.  Boost kosher salt and coarse pepper to 1/4 cup and it should be pretty good.  My $0.02...
So many recipes, so little time!

outdoorsfellar

azamuner73

Quote from: outdoorsfellar on February 25, 2010, 08:44:45 AM
What is the purpose of the Kosher salt ?

Same as table salt but no iodine.

I prefer Kosher salt or sea salt over table salt anyway.

From what I've read the iodine changes the flavor.

OU812

When makin a rub I try to keep the salt and sugar in equal amounts.

With the cayenne, ancho, black and white pepper thats goin to be a lip burnin experience.

Let us know who YOU like it.

This is the fun part of makin a rub, put in there what what YOU like.

OTB

thanks for the feedback.  Based upon the feedback, and since I already mixed a batch of this last night, I will up the salt to at least 1/2 cup to come closer to sugar amount to try to fix what I have.  I will probably leave the amount of the other spices alone so it is not too spicy.  I should have waited for feedback before mixing up.  Good thing this all about taste and experimentation.

Will let you know how it turns out if it doesn't rain on Sat and I get to use my new smoker.

Thanks again!!

ArnieM

As long as you're doin' ribs ...

You might want to get adventurous and try two different rubs.  If you're doing one rack, try it half and half.  If two racks, try one each.  That way, you can pick your favorite (if either) and go from there.

Have fun.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tommy3Putts

OTB

As has been already stated Rubs are a matter of preference.  I use a rub similar to yours and try to hold back on the salt as I add Seasoning salt and smoked salt (in lower amounts)  The Brown sugar seems to enhance the flavors of the other spices while not making it too sweet. I would also recommend starting off with a basic mustard slather first to hold the rub.

T3Ps

OTB

West Coast Kansan

Only advice on rub I have is to keep notes and use a revision control on each batch till it is your perfect rub. 

I spent way too long with the unique non recurring rubs and was always disgusted that I did not remember what i used and how much.  :-[

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Tommy3Putts

WC

I know the feeling.  You get the perfect rub and can't remember what you put in it.  All I know is that brown sugar, paprika, salt and garlic powder are the basics to a good rub. All the other stuff is add-ons.