• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

questions for rib roast & pork butt--2nd smoke

Started by rmdodson, February 25, 2010, 08:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmdodson

Hello all,

After a successful 1st smoke (chicken legs & thighs), I'm planning my next one a boneless rib roast & a 5-6# bone-in pork butt. I tend to cook large on my weekends & have left overs for the week. Due to overtime at work I never know when I can cook otherwise.

I pulled the pot roast recipe from the Bradley website to try. It says to smoke/cook for 4-6 hours, but does not give an internal meat temperature. So I plan on smoking for 3 hours & cooking for the rest of the time. What internal temperature should I shoot for?

I've never injected meat before so I want to try doing that. When do I inject...at the same time I do the rub & stick it in the fridge for 24 hours? Or right before I shove it in the smoker? What's good for the injection stuff for rib roast? For the pork butt (will be pulled pork when I'm done)?

What kind of time am I looking at for 8-10# of meat if I do these together? I know, it's done when it's done. Will one be done earlier than the other even if they are about the same size? I'm shooting for 5# for each.

Can someone give me a list/procedure for the pork butt (what to do when)? There is no recipe for pulled pork on Bradley's website surprisingly.

Thanks.

OU812

FLBentRider

Those two cuts of meat really call for two distinctly different cooking styles.

For the rib roast, this is how I do it http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13319.15

Basically I put smoke on it, into an oven @225F until an IT of 125F, FTC until ten minutes before serving, then 8 minutes in a 500F oven.

For Pork butt:

Apply rub, plastic wrap and rest 24 hours in fridge.

Pre-heat smoker to 250F, take meat out of fridge while pre-heating.

Apply four hours of smoke, @205F, continue @205G until an IT of 195-200F, FTC until time to serve.

You can do them together, just be aware that they rib roast will probably be done in less than four hours, the pork butt will take 14-20 hours - or more.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

On a Pork Butt I start my smoke at the same temp I pre-heat at (250*) and let the smoke start and cook at

250* until the cabinet temp catches up to 220* and then finish my cook at 220* to an IT of 195* to 200*.

Your butt will have a stall period around 170* and the IT could actually drop a little.

Just wait it out, the stall is all the fat cooking down and turning to moisture.

Most people like 4 hrs of smoke, I like 6 to 8.

ArnieM

I'm pretty much with FLBR on the rib roast and have done it that way.  The method works well for any decent beef roast, sirloin or top round for example.  I wouldn't want to turn it into a pot roast.  We have chuck for that.  Also, the rib roast may cook quite a bit quicker than expected.  Keep a close eye on it.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tommy3Putts

I agree with CRG.  I prefer 6 to 8 hours of smoke for the butts.  Haven't done a rib roast yet.

rmdodson

Quote from: ArnieM on February 25, 2010, 11:44:45 AM
I'm pretty much with FLBR on the rib roast and have done it that way.  The method works well for any decent beef roast, sirloin or top round for example.  I wouldn't want to turn it into a pot roast.  We have chuck for that.  Also, the rib roast may cook quite a bit quicker than expected.  Keep a close eye on it.

Ok, fellas, I appreciate all your help, but Arnie just put a question into my head...are we talking about the same thing here?

Here is the link to the recipe I am looking at:  http://www.bradleysmoker.com/mesquite-bisquette-recipes.asp#5

But I also found this one:  http://www.bradleysmoker.com/special-blend-bisquette-recipes.asp#2

Both recipes are for pot roast but call for using a boneless cross rib roast. The first one has no IT while the second one does but with longer smoke/cook time. Arnie are you suggesting I use a chuck roast instead for one of these recipes? The meat hasn't been bought yet & I will go with what you guys suggest. I'll be doing my shopping Tue morning & start  smoking around noon. Is it critical that I rub & fridge it for 24 hours? Or will a few hours do?

If the pork but may take 14-20 hours, I may wait until the following Tue morning to smoke it as my "weekend" is Tue & Wed currently.

FLBentRider

After some googling, I discovered that a "cross rib roast" is from the beef chuck and not the beef rib.

Now the recipe makes a little more sense.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

Good job FLBR.  I'd never heard of a cross rib roast.  It probably allows the retailer to jack the price up some.

Rhonda, as far as rub and fridge overnight vs a few hours goes, I don't know.  I'd assume either method gets some flavor into the very outside of the meat.  I'm not sure how much penetration there is in either case.  I've gone both ways and never really noticed much difference.  Maybe someone with authoritative knowledge on the issue will stop by.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

Quote from: ArnieM on February 26, 2010, 08:10:36 AM
Good job FLBR.  I'd never heard of a cross rib roast.  It probably allows the retailer to jack the price up some.

Rhonda, as far as rub and fridge overnight vs a few hours goes, I don't know.  I'd assume either method gets some flavor into the very outside of the meat.  I'm not sure how much penetration there is in either case.  I've gone both ways and never really noticed much difference.  Maybe someone with authoritative knowledge on the issue will stop by.

I've done the "express" method - out of the package, pat dry, apply rub, into smoker. Still good.

I think you get better bark development the longer the rub is on. I have not done any detailed tests.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!