• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Do I need cure??

Started by smokeNcanuck, February 26, 2010, 06:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeNcanuck

Sorry, I think I have read about this before just cant find the post.
Anyway I wan to make some jerky and was wondering if I need to add cure?
I have made it many time before in a dehydrator and never used cure.  I use
muscle meat no GB as a note.  This time I want to do it in my OBS, so that's why
I was wondering about the cure, as I am not sure what temp my dehydrator runs at.

Also if I need to add cure can I use MTQ as my cure#1 has not arrived yet.

Thanks,
sNc

P.S  would I be better off to just smoke in OBS then move to dehydrator, and if so same question
cure or no cure.
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: smokeNcanuck on February 26, 2010, 06:25:41 AM
Sorry, I think I have read about this before just cant find the post.
Anyway I wan to make some jerky and was wondering if I need to add cure?
I have made it many time before in a dehydrator and never used cure.  I use
muscle meat no GB as a note.  This time I want to do it in my OBS, so that's why
I was wondering about the cure, as I am not sure what temp my dehydrator runs at.

Also if I need to add cure can I use MTQ as my cure#1 has not arrived yet.

Thanks,
sNc

P.S  would I be better off to just smoke in OBS then move to dehydrator, and if so same question
cure or no cure.

Anytime you use your smoker to make jerky both being whole strip or ground, always add cure. even if its smoke then into dehydrator.

smokeNcanuck

NePaSmoKer

azamuner73

I've made jerky a few times without cure....I don't yet have a smoker...and never had any problems with it.  I have some cure now and I like how it keeps the meat a reddish color let alone makes it even safer to eat.

I freeze my meat for 7-10 days before I use it because I don't cook it, I just dehydrate it.  I read an article from a food safety/prof at a university that said freezing the meat kills many of the possible bacteria that could form or already resides in meat.  I do this for my GB since I don't cook it at all.

KevinG

When smoking you need cure because of lack of oxygen which makes it a prime environment for botulism. If you are just dehydrating you minimize the risk because oxygen is still present.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

smokeNcanuck

Thanks for the help! ;)

Another question, If I was using MTQ would I still go by the 1Tbsp/LB of meat?
I know it's more if you are brining.  With all the liquid in my marinade should I go with the
brine measurement?  Which I think is 1 cup/4 cups water??

RAF128

When you say you've made it without a cure you must have seasoned it.    What were the seasonings.    If there was salt, it's a cure.    Some recipes call for Soy Sauce and it's full of salt.    Remember that jerky is just dried raw meat and not safe IMO unless it's got some kind of cure.

smokeNcanuck

RAF128, I should have been more clear.  In the past I marinated in soy, and a few other
things. So yes it had a salt cure.  My question is, will the soy and other salt added be enough
to keep it safe while smoking or Should I still add MTQ or cure#1?

RAF128

IMO, no.    I used to make a jerky recipe that had soy sauce as a major ingredient and no cure.    If you're still not comfortable without a cure, put it in but again I think it'll be fine.

smokeNcanuck

Quote from: RAF128 on February 26, 2010, 12:02:22 PM
IMO, no.    I used to make a jerky recipe that had soy sauce as a major ingredient and no cure.    If you're still not comfortable without a cure, put it in but again I think it'll be fine.

I am afraid if I put MTQ in the marinade it will be way too salty.
Thanks for you input!

slider

I have made alot of jerky in my day but have never used a cure, but always used soy as the main base and a liquid smoke. Never had any problems and my children were raised on it. Since I now have a smoker and will be using it to smoke the jerky I think that I will use some #1 to be on the safe side.

anderson5420

Don't have it at hand but my Morton book says to use 2 tbsp MTQ per 5 lbs of meat.  MTQ is salt, sugar and cures #1 (sodium nitrate) and #2 (mostly sodium nitrite, a little sodium nitrate) in equal parts, I think half a percent each (could be wrong on that). So 2 tbsp of MTQ is really pretty close to the 2 tbsp of salt and one tsp of cure that you would use in most 5 lb sausage recipes.  I like MTQ,
So many recipes, so little time!

OU812

Habs has informed me that Morton has changed there amount of MTQ to
1 1/2 tea per lb when doin sausage.

Just my 2 cents.

anderson5420

Well, doing the math, 1 tbsp = 3 tsp, so 1-1/2 tsp per lb come to 1 tbsp per 2 lbs, or 2 tbsp per 4 lbs, which is not far enough off 2 tbsp for 5 lbs to be significant. Actually, it is fairly salty at that and the extra 1-1/2 tsp would just make a bit saltier!  The math also is correct that the total weight of cure at 2 tbsp MTQ per 5 lbs is the same as 1 tsp Instacure per 5 lbs.  However you use it, MTQ is an excellent product that is readily available and inexpensive. I use it a lot.

Quote from: OU812 on March 19, 2010, 01:10:28 PM
Habs has informed me that Morton has changed there amount of MTQ to
1 1/2 tea per lb when doin sausage.

Just my 2 cents.
So many recipes, so little time!