• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brisket & Turkey for 120..

Started by squirtthecat, February 26, 2010, 06:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Ok, I might need some help with the calculations for this one.   :o

I've been tasked to smoke turkey and brisket for an Alumni Weekend fundraiser at MrsSTC's school.  The target headcount is 100, but I'm going to plan.purchase for 120. (plenty of leftovers that way)

Smoked/cooked in advance.  Then sliced/shredded for dollar roll sized sandwiches to be served hot.

There will be lots of other 'finger' foods as well.   This is more of a drinks/appetizers/drinks/more drinks function - not a formal sit down meal.

Briskets will be 'pulled'. (cook to 205, cool, and shred)  Maybe I'll do some burnt ends as well, just to add one more meaty thing to nibble on.

The (frozen) turkey breasts I get are in the 8-9 pound range.  I can get packer briskets from Sam's.

Now the $1000 question...    How much of each to get?

TIA,
STC.

FLBentRider

Do you know the makeup of the 100 ?

Mostly men, mostly women - about even.

I would say that the women would gravitate toward the Turkey, the Men toward brisket...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

As the guy in "Jaws" says, "you're going to need a bigger boat".  I hope Hal's Stump gets there soon! ;)

squirtthecat

Quote from: FLBentRider on February 26, 2010, 07:18:39 AM

I would say that the women would gravitate toward the Turkey, the Men toward brisket...

I'd guess it will be a 50/50 mix.  (figuring most of these people will bring their spouse)  That's what I was thinking as well - the dainty eaters will go for the turkey, the carnivores will go for the beef.

squirtthecat

Quote from: KyNola on February 26, 2010, 07:20:02 AM
As the guy in "Jaws" says, "you're going to need a bigger boat".  I hope Hal's Stump gets there soon! ;)

Unfortunately, it might arrive that very week.   Not really enough time to get it broken/dialed in.   I'd hate to load a hundred bucks worth of brisket it in overnight, and then have a "WHOOPS".

I'll definitely have my Traeger/Bradley working overtime in the 2 weeks leading up to this!

KyNola

Buddy, that is a real project.  Will be looking forward to the progress reports on this one.

FLBentRider

Quote from: squirtthecat on February 26, 2010, 07:23:09 AM
Quote from: FLBentRider on February 26, 2010, 07:18:39 AM

I'd guess it will be a 50/50 mix.  (figuring most of these people will bring their spouse)  That's what I was thinking as well - the dainty eaters will go for the turkey, the carnivores will go for the beef.

So thinking(typing) out loud here...

60 women - consume 0.25 lb each = 15lb cooked weight, raw weight ~.33lb each = 19.8lbs of turkey

60 Men consume .50lb each = 30lb cooked weight, raw weight 1lb each = 60lb brisket.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

I was talking with my foodservice connection (the lady that runs our office cafeteria), and she plans things people-per-protein-pound.

To have plenty of food, she said to plan for 3 people per pound of meat.    Even 4 per pound would be fine, but with a mix of turkey & beef, some people might prefer one over the other.

Now these is 'cooked' amounts...  I'll have to figure out the raw amounts, how much mass the turkey's lose, etc.

squirtthecat

Quote from: FLBentRider on February 26, 2010, 07:46:59 AM

60 women - consume 0.25 lb each = 15lb cooked weight, raw weight ~.33lb each = 19.8lbs of turkey

60 Men consume .50lb each = 30lb cooked weight, raw weight 1lb each = 60lb brisket.

And while I was typing, FLBentRider was calculating!

Thx dude...     

classicrockgriller

What a fun problem.

Looks like FBR has it dialed in.

50% loss on the brisket and 33% loss on the turkey.

FLBentRider

Quote from: squirtthecat on February 26, 2010, 07:49:39 AM
Quote from: FLBentRider on February 26, 2010, 07:46:59 AM

And while I was typing, FLBentRider was calculating!

Thx dude...     

No problem.. the weight loss was a SWAG, since I haven't done any Turkey Breast, But I'm pretty confident in the 50% figure for butts and brisket. And that is from the "grocery store" weight, before trimming, etc.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

That is a pretty good SWAG..

I'm not 100% sure of the 'before' weight (thinking it was 8.5 lbs), but I saw at least a 20% loss in mass when I did this bird:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=14442.msg172003#msg172003

smokeitall

I hope you have time to take some pics while doing this, it would be nice to see a pic of that spread.  Everybody's going to eat good that night.
SIA

squirtthecat

Thanks, I'll have my trusty Sony P&S near me at all times..

Here's hoping for full stomachs and open checkbooks!

FLBentRider

And I would probably add an extra 10% or so. at least for the Brisket... ya know, if you're 5lbs short and another brisket makes you 5lbs over - so be it

Always better to have leftovers than hungry customers and no food left.

I've been to events like that... cycling events.... ride all day and get to the dinner tent to find out "we ran out" .... talk about inciting a riot...

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!