• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

first smoke

Started by bears fan, February 27, 2010, 07:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bears fan

Doing some short ribs tomorrow and will plan accordingly for the time it takes.  Just not used to the slow and low cooking.  I know it's going to be worth it when done though.

FLBentRider

I usually start butts the night before, around 7-9 pm.

I set an alarm to get up and empty/refill the water bowl at the four hour mark.

They usually start hitting the target temps around 2 to 4pm the next day.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bears fan

I can see why you would do that.  I smoked it for four hours and am now wondering if that will be long enough.  I am thinking I will now be getting up in the middle of the night to take it out of the smoker.  Good eats tomorrow though.  I peaked inside and it looks delicious.

bears fan

The finished product!  It was worth the wait!  Here are the stats, 6.6# pork butt. Started at 9am at 200-210 degrees, smoked it for 4 hours then shut the smoke off.  Let it cook around 200 -210 degrees for the duration and took it out at 10:15 pm.  Total time from start to finish, 13 hours and 15 minutes.  Took it out with an IT of 188-190 degrees depending where I checked it.  I think the timeline is important for all the newbies trying a pork butt for the first time.  Also, I should mention a person should check the water bowl throughout the process.  I did not do that as I only peaked inside one time during the cooking and didn't look at the water bowl.  When I took the  butt out, the water bowl was completely dry.  Assuming water in the bowl may have helped out with the cooking process in some manner.  However, even with the water bowl dry, the butt was very juicy and tender.  I'm calling it a success and I'm hungry for more.  Can't wait to try some more recipes!

squirtthecat

Good job!

Tip:   Replace the little water bowl with an 9x13x2" foil pan from Walmart, (they sell them in packs of 2) and you can go a good 15 hours between refills.

Thor

Congrats, looks great.

Mine are more stubborn.  At midnight I turned mine down and went to bed.  This morning the Mav under the meat read 200* and the door read 150*.  Not normal having that big a gap.  The IT of the bottom was still at 175* the top at 160*.  Meat is still springy, so I do not think it has dried out.  Cranking it back up to 220.  I used the WallyWorld pan and still had water.   23 hours and counting.   

Might have to drive up to SD for dinner tonight  :)
If you got it, smoke it.

bears fan

Come on up.  Plenty to eat here.  They turned out fantaastic.

KyNola

Bears Fan,
The butt looks great.  I'm sure you know this but allowing the water bowl to go dry is setting yourself up for a potential disaster in the form of a grease fire from fat dripping down into the dry bowl.

KyNola

bears fan

I was not aware of that.  Thank you.  I'll chalk this up as myself being lucky on my first smoke that I didn't burn it up.  Boy, that would've been a bummer on a first smoke.

OU812

Good lookin pork bears fan, I can almost taste it way over here.

bears fan

Thanks.  It turned out great.  Will probably do a little less rub next time, but it still tasted great.

Did some spare ribs last night and warmed them up today for supper.  Another excellent smoke.  I think I'm starting to get a hang up this smoker.  I'm going to do some cheese this weekend.

OU812

Quote from: bears fan on March 03, 2010, 05:49:12 PM
Did some spare ribs last night and warmed them up today for supper.  Another excellent smoke.  I think I'm starting to get a hang up this smoker.  I'm going to do some cheese this weekend.

Real him boys, I think hes hooked.  ;D

bears fan

I sure am.  Thanks to everyone for all the advice and getting me hooked!