• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Maple Bacon

Started by RAF128, February 28, 2010, 07:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

Yesterday I started some Maple Bacon.    Mixed up the cure and brushed it all over.   Sealed up the bag and out to the garage I went to put it in the fridge.    This morning I went out to turn it over and was the package ever sticky.    Seems I didn't get the Zip lock sealed all the way >:(.   Shelf in the fridge had sticky cure on it too.    Gave it another seal and this time it's done right.   Then I had to clean up.   I figure I lost a couple of tablespoon full.   I'm hoping that won't make a big difference.   

oakville smoker

RAF

Its happened to me.  I lost a bit the results still exceeded expectations
I double seal everything I put in the fridge to cure now
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

RAF128

I made some back bacon a month or so ago and no probem.   My fault this time as I didn't double check the seal :-[

Slamdunk

Yep, has happened to me too!!

I am going to be trying bacon (pork loin rather than pork belly) for the first time very soon and would like to know of a "home made" cure.

I've searched on this and other sites and haven't been able to find a cure I can make from scratch. I've seen references to Morton Tender Quick, Insta cure, Cure # 1 etc.

Does anybody have a cure they have made and used with success??

tia

KevinG

Not unless you have access to sodium nitrite for cure #1 or sodium nitrate for cure #2.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

love the smoke

I am 7 days into the "Wyoming Bacon" right now exited to get to the finish line and see the end product

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13182.0

LTS

LTS

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: slamdunk on February 28, 2010, 09:41:29 AM
Yep, has happened to me too!!

I am going to be trying bacon (pork loin rather than pork belly) for the first time very soon and would like to know of a "home made" cure.

I've searched on this and other sites and haven't been able to find a cure I can make from scratch. I've seen references to Morton Tender Quick, Insta cure, Cure # 1 etc.

Does anybody have a cure they have made and used with success??

tia

If you have cure #1 you can make this Basic Dry Cure. It measures the same as Morton's Tender Quick. With that basic cure you can add your own seasonings such as this Canadian Bacon Recipe

As for those who have lost so cure due to leakage, if it wind up that it is not fully cure, it will still be safe to eat the bacon. It will remain refrigerated and it will be cooked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Slamdunk

Thanks for the reply.

RAF128

I've thought about mixing up a little more of the rub and just adding it to the bacon, but the amount I lost was very small, maybe 2 tablespoons.    When I rubbed it there was still some left over which I just added to the bag so I think I should be OK.

RAF128

Everyday I've been turning the bacon over.   I noticed that it wasn't producing much liquid and didn't feel very firm.   Made a decision.   I mixed up a little more salt, sugur, cure and maple syrup.   Added it to the bag.   Last night I had a look at it and there is now plenty of fluid.   This morning I turned it and again lots of fluid and it's feeling much firmer.   Maybe I lost more than I thought.   
I'll be away from the city at my cabin up north this weekend.    Plan to take it out Sunday evening when I get back, rinse it and dry it and air dry in the fridge.   Smoking will start on Monday.   

Tenpoint5

RAF I would make sure that you do 2 things with your bacon since you added more cure to it. 1 I would make sure that you soak it for at least an hour changing the water after a half hour. To reduce the salt content. 2 I would make sure that you slice a small piece and fry it up to taste and see if you need to soak it even longer to bring the salt content down even more.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

RAF128

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 04, 2010, 05:10:30 AM
RAF I would make sure that you do 2 things with your bacon since you added more cure to it. 1 I would make sure that you soak it for at least an hour changing the water after a half hour. To reduce the salt content. 2 I would make sure that you slice a small piece and fry it up to taste and see if you need to soak it even longer to bring the salt content down even more.

Will do.   Thanks.    I should mention that the recipe said the cure was good for 5 lbs and the piece I had was approaching 6.    I will definetly do as you suggest.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: RAF128 on March 04, 2010, 04:22:14 AM
Everyday I've been turning the bacon over.   I noticed that it wasn't producing much liquid and didn't feel very firm.   Made a decision.   I mixed up a little more salt, sugur, cure and maple syrup.   Added it to the bag.   Last night I had a look at it and there is now plenty of fluid.   This morning I turned it and again lots of fluid and it's feeling much firmer.   Maybe I lost more than I thought.   
I'll be away from the city at my cabin up north this weekend.    Plan to take it out Sunday evening when I get back, rinse it and dry it and air dry in the fridge.   Smoking will start on Monday.   

Every piece of bacon cures at it own rate, some do not always firm up if they are really fatty, and some produce more liquid then others. Sometimes it is better to go a day or two longer. Just dumping more cure in is not good practice. It's better to be careful, if it doesn't fully cure it will still be safe to eat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RAF128

Yesterday I smoked the bacon.   This is after I soaked it in cold water as suggested and fried a small piece to check for too much salt.   I put 2 1/2 hrs of maple smoke on it at 130* and then stepped up the temp to 160.    IT stalled at 142 and I was afraid if I left a little bit longer or didn't check frequently, it would suddenly jump, so I took it out.   The whole process took about 8 hrs.  I didn't have time to do any more with it so put it in the fridge for the night.    This morning I sliced it and vacuum sealed it.   Of course there was an odd numbered piece left over ;) soooooo I had to fry it.   Overall it was pretty good although maybe a little sweater that I expected.   The real test will come when my kids try some.   They told last night, as they were leaving to go home, that they expected some.

oakville smoker

RAF

Your kids will not be dissapointed.
My step son who will eat bacon from the package has suddenly become a bacon afficiando and demands bacon and complains when
bacon does not get made at breakfast or there is none left when he drags his sorry butt out of bed.

No worries with the temp.  I usually pull mine around 140, let it cool and set up in the fridge and slice it up and package.
You are cooking it afterall in a pan or something before you eat it.

Sounds like breakie for dinner
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?