• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pressed Ham

Started by OU812, March 03, 2010, 04:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

I was runnin out of ham style lunch meat, so I got some plain ol pork butt and  ground with the course blade, stuck in the freezer for an hr. Cleaned up my mess then pull out of the freezer and grind with the fine blade. This is 10 lb only half is ground in this shot to show the diff.

After the second grind back in the freezer for another hr and finish cleanin every thing up. Now comes the fun part.

I emulsified one lb at a time, 2 min each, didnt need any ice as the meat was already damn cold, I did add 1 cup water to the meat prier to makin what Taby calls "The baby food"

30 min later got a big ol pile of baby food.

Had to barrow a stuffer from my partner in crime.

Just a few min later and wala a 10 lb thing of buety, the thing on the right is a 21 mm snack stick, thats all that was left in the stuffer. Most of it was in the tube.

In the mornin fired up the smoker to 130 F and threw in the ham. Put on 4 hr Hickory, after the 4 hr bumped up the temp to 150 F and held there till the IT was 130 F then bumped the temp up to 170 F and held it there till the IT was 156 F. Did it this way cause I was at Taby's "Spring Fling Indoor Soft Ball Tourney" and had a friend of mine checkin on my smoker, he was up dealin with the cows anyway. Turned out perfect. This is after 48 hr in the fridge.

Got it all sliced up and ready to package.

Now I'm hungry. So I made me a big ol sammie on honey wheat with some muenster cheese.  Damn good stuff.

Now thats a sammie.

FLBentRider

That looks good OU!

Are there spices/cure in it ?

It seems like it would have the texture of a hot dog?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

smokeNcanuck

Really nice OU!!
I have to say that I was a little worried when I started looking at your pics(which are great).
Not looking to appetizing but man the finished product looks really good.
I just may have to give that a whirl, as soon as I get my stuffer. What went is for spices?

Edit: looks like FL beat me too it. :D

Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

NePaSmoKer

Damn good skippy  ;D

York

It looks amazing.

I have to admit I was worried by the title of this thread. When I was growing "Pressed Ham" had a meaning not related to food.

RAF128

Quote from: York on March 03, 2010, 07:46:03 PM
It looks amazing.

I have to admit I was worried by the title of this thread. When I was growing "Pressed Ham" had a meaning not related to food.

Yup, brings back memories of old cars, their windows and shocked looks on faces in other cars ;)

dbondy

Looks awesome OU, nice job. ;D ;D

3rensho

Wow, that is really impressive.  What seasonings did you use?  I haven't ventured into emulsified meat yet but this looks like a must try.  Great job OU.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Tenpoint5

Looks Good Curt. I make two sammies without a pile of meat on them now everyone has to show me up!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 03, 2010, 06:50:48 PM
That looks good OU!

Are there spices/cure in it ?

It seems like it would have the texture of a hot dog?

Thanks, tastes good too.

It's a simple what if thing I did years ago with the recipe.

3/4 cup Morton plain sugar cure
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
4 tea Phosphate
1 cup distilled water
Yes the texture is like a hot dog or like ham lunchmeat hangin in the lunch meat isle at the store.

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 04, 2010, 06:34:16 AM
Looks Good Curt. I make two sammies without a pile of meat on them now everyone has to show me up!!

Not tryin to show you up, just like allot of meat on my sammie. Your brisket sammie would be just fine too.

Wanta trade?  ;D

Tenpoint5

Quote from: OU812 on March 04, 2010, 07:07:11 AM

Not tryin to show you up, just like allot of meat on my sammie. Your brisket sammie would be just fine too.

Wanta trade?  ;D
I have to make another Brisket in order to trade Sammies. This one is gone!!

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 04, 2010, 07:51:40 AM
Quote from: OU812 on March 04, 2010, 07:07:11 AM

Wanta trade?  ;D
I have to make another Brisket in order to trade Sammies. This one is gone!!

Well what are you waitin for get another brisket and smoke it up.  ;D

Looks like this weekend will be a wet one, glad I got my smoker in side.

classicrockgriller

That looks just like the old school stuff except what my mom bought was square.

Kewl Thread.

Tenpoint5

Curt,
Do you get much smoke penetration with the 8x24 casing? It looks like the ones I get but mine have a rubberized feel to them. Leading on to believe that there wouldn't be much smoke penetration.
Chris