• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pressed Ham

Started by OU812, March 03, 2010, 04:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Chris,
These casings are just like the smaller ones you use for summer sausage but when layin flat they are 6 1/2" across and has pin holes about 2" apart along the whole casing all the way around. I think that helps.

As far as the smoke makin it all the way to the center I have a sammie in the truck I will be right back.

Ok I'm back. I had 2 neutral partys fold a piece and take a bite in the center and they both said they could taste smoke. Then had them take a bite from the edge part way in and they said it got stronger. So the myth busters say the smoke does make it all the way in but just not as strong.

The rubberized casings are for poaching like you do your bologna and I also believe the smoke wont penetrate the casing, which reminds me I thought you were goin to send me one of those casings to give it a whirl. ;D

Curt

Tenpoint5

Quote from: OU812 on March 04, 2010, 09:02:36 AM
Chris,
These casings are just like the smaller ones you use for summer sausage but when layin flat they are 6 1/2" across and has pin holes about 2" apart along the whole casing all the way around. I think that helps.

As far as the smoke makin it all the way to the center I have a sammie in the truck I will be right back.

Ok I'm back. I had 2 neutral partys fold a piece and take a bite in the center and they both said they could taste smoke. Then had them take a bite from the edge part way in and they said it got stronger. So the myth busters say the smoke does make it all the way in but just not as strong.

The rubberized casings are for poaching like you do your bologna and I also believe the smoke wont penetrate the casing, which reminds me I thought you were goin to send me one of those casings to give it a whirl. ;D

Curt

Imagine that!! Something else I forgot, right Squirt. I will write it down and get one sent out.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

When I have lots of stuff goin on and need to remember some thing I will send myself a voice mail and the phone reminds me.  ::)

Captainslug

Just a dumb question, but why did you grind with your course blade first and then grind it with your fine second?  Why not just grind it with the fine first since you emulsified it anyway.  Sorry if the answer is obvious to others, but I don't understand it.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID