• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

pics of pork shoulders & beans

Started by rmdodson, March 04, 2010, 07:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmdodson

Here's the pics of the pork shoulders & beans I did up overnight...lunch is gonna be great for work this evening  :D

For future reference, how do I NOT get such a thick & crunchy outer bark? I like some, but not as much as what I got.

OU812

Looks good, I really like the look of the beans.

If you want to lesson the bark and make it softer you can, after the smoke, put the meat in the pan you have in the picture, add a splash of juice, broth or whatever and cover loosely with foil to finish cookin. Called "Boating"

classicrockgriller

Looks mighty tasty to me.

I like to "pull" the inside of the butt, and chop the bark and mix all back together.

To me the outside bark is what gives your Butt great taste.

The beans look like $$$$.

What temp did you smoke/cook them on?

rmdodson

Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 04, 2010, 07:35:42 AM
Looks mighty tasty to me.

The beans look like $$$$.

What temp did you smoke/cook them on?

I smoked for 4 hours w/ apple & attempted to keep the smoker in the 225F range...I was happy to keep it 220-230F. I stirred them at 2 hours  (rotated the pans under the pork shoulder) & at 4 hours put them in a 350F oven for a couple of more hours & stirred every 30-45min until I thought they were thick enough. Best beans I've ever had (IMHO). I've been trying to find a recipe to substitute for my sis-in-law's. Her & bro-in-law like hers, but me & hubby don't. She uses pork & beans which turn to absolute mush...yuck  :P

KyNola

Send all of the bark that you don't want to me.  I'll dispose of it properly. :D

Looks really good.  Those beans look good too.

Nice job.

squirtthecat

classicrockgriller

You could have chopped up some of that Butt Bark and tossed it in the Beans. Yummmmm!

rmdodson

Quote from: OU812 on March 04, 2010, 07:31:09 AM
Looks good, I really like the look of the beans.

If you want to lesson the bark and make it softer you can, after the smoke, put the meat in the pan you have in the picture, add a splash of juice, broth or whatever and cover loosely with foil to finish cookin. Called "Boating"

Thanks OU. Boating...that's what I forgot...nuts...that's ok...I found a 7.5# shoulder on sale for $1.18/#, so I'll do it up Monday morning before I go to work. We got hubby's bro & wife coming in Tue for me to do their taxes. Give me an estimation of when I need to stick it in the smoker if we want it for lunch Tue?? If I put it in the smoker Mon noon, will it be ready Tue noon? I'll get up early to start the beans around 4-5am which will give them 7-8 hours.

OU812

I would put the 7.5# shoulder in Mon mornin that way you aint waitin for lunch Tue. You can FTC if its done early.

rmdodson

Quote from: OU812 on March 04, 2010, 08:04:08 AM
I would put the 7.5# shoulder in Mon mornin that way you aint waitin for lunch Tue. You can FTC if its done early.

Thanks OU...sounds like a plan! Now, we'll see how the plan works out in practice  ;)

OU812

Take notes, it will help you in the future.

seemore