• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Prime Rib Suggestions

Started by OTB, March 06, 2010, 10:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTB

I have a 5lb prime rib (bone in) in the fridge beggin to be cooked this weekend.

Any cooking suggestions?

oakville smoker

Lay a rub on it overnight
1 hour 20 minutes of smoke of your choice, I have used hard woods and really like dthe results
Then low and slow till it done
It will blow you away !
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OTB

When I do my prime rib in the oven, I usually rub it with crushed garlic, olive oil, salt pepper and herbs.

Is there any reason I could not do the same?  Rub it with that, leave in plastic wrap overnight, smoke for an hour, then low and slow until done? 

Also, do you do the final cooking in oven, or just leave in bradley?  I am thinking it will only take about 2-3 hours to get to rare/medium rare...

FLBentRider

Quote from: OTB on March 06, 2010, 11:59:27 AM
When I do my prime rib in the oven, I usually rub it with crushed garlic, olive oil, salt pepper and herbs.

Is there any reason I could not do the same?  Rub it with that, leave in plastic wrap overnight, smoke for an hour, then low and slow until done? 

Also, do you do the final cooking in oven, or just leave in bradley?  I am thinking it will only take about 2-3 hours to get to rare/medium rare...

That sounds like a plan to me.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OTB

What wood do you suggest.  I have Apple, Oak, Alder, Cherry, Hickory, Maple and a Special Blend.   I am trying to ease my wife and kid into the smoking flavors, since they don't like it too smokey.

FLBentRider

Quote from: OTB on March 06, 2010, 01:13:58 PM
What wood do you suggest.  I have Apple, Oak, Alder, Cherry, Hickory, Maple and a Special Blend.   I am trying to ease my wife and kid into the smoking flavors, since they don't like it too smokey.

I like Oak on beef, but it can be heavy.

I'd go with the Cherry.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OTB

Thanks!!  I will try it out and let you know how it goes tomorrow.

OTB

Here are the pictures of the prime rib.  I started it at 230F, smoked with apple for 1 hour, then left at 230F (but the internal cabinet temp was around 210-220F most of the time) until it reached an internal temp of 120 (rare to medium rare) which took about 3 additional hours.  Then it was FTC until dinner time.  I placed it in a 450F oven for 10 minutes before serving.

After overnight rub, waiting to be smoked:

Ready for FTC

Serving time:

It was rare/medium rare which is exactly how I like it.  For my wife I put her slice in the microwave for 30sec to cook a tad bit more.  I tend to cook a prime rib on the rare side so the left overs are not overcooked when re-heated.

Tommy3Putts

Wow!  Looks great.  I love rare Prime Rib. 

FLBentRider

That looks great!

How was the smoke flavor?

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OTB

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 08, 2010, 05:41:44 PM
That looks great!

How was the smoke flavor?

I thought it was excellent....the wife thought it was too much.  More left overs for me.  :,)

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

dbondy

Thats some good looking eats. Good job.

SnellySmokesEm

I got my au jous and horsey sauce ready, now I'm just waitin' on you to fix me a plate of the awesome lookin Prime!!!  :)
Great Job.  Add Prime to my ever growing wish list!  :)
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist