• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Beef Short Ribs

Started by oakville smoker, March 06, 2010, 10:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

I was at the market this morning and some beef short ribs caught my eye
Maybe it was the girl behind the counter .....
But I am sure it was the ribs

What to do, what to do
I am thinking a basic rub overnight and a slow cook tomorrow /
Any suggestions out there in Bradley land ?
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

bears fan

I did some earlier this week and just put a simple bbq butt rub on it, any kind of rub would work and some salt and pepper.  Smoked them for 3 hours, cooked for another 2, and then foiled them with apple juice for another 1 hour.  They still were tough, so the following day I put them back in the smoker wrapped in the same foil and let them cook at around 220 degrees for another 4 hours.  They turned out fantastic after a little extra time of cooking.

3rensho

QuoteThey still were tough,...

That mirrors my experience exactly.  They do need some cookin' but, well worth the time invested.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

squirtthecat

So instead of 3-2-1, perhaps 4-5-1?

I looked at some at Sam's, while I was waiting for the brisket wrangler...

bears fan

I might suggest 3 hours smoke, 2 hours cook, and 4 or 5 hours of foiled with apple juice.  This is what it took for mine anyway when I cooked them.  I think they would end up way to dry if you cooked them for 5 hours before foiling them with apple juice.

oakville smoker

YOWSER
I never thought it would take damn near as long as a pork butt to cook these babies
Am I ever glad I asked

We will be starting these babies bright and early tomorrow morning

Thanks all
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

OU812

How did your ribs turn out?

oakville smoker

OU

To tell the truth I was disappointed and so was everyone else
They were tender and tasty but certainly lacking meat when fully cooked
I found myself craving some beef when I was done

Cook was 2 hours smoke, 4 hours dry hear, 4 hours boated with AJ and a trip to the gasser to crisp them up a bit

The wife said they are OK but I prefer back ribs to these. 

Disappointing for what these babies cost.  Not sure there will be a next time

seemore

OS, go online to Food & Wine.  They might have some recipes for short ribs.  Short ribs are used a lot in Korean cuisine, I believe.  There should be some recipes for them on this website.
I too made short ribs once - years ago - and was disappointed.  I have some in the freezer;  I just need to get them out and try them again.
Mrs.

OU812

Thanks for the reply OS

I keep seein the beef ribs in the store and have herd they are tricky but have never tried them. Too pricey to mess them up. Dont look like much meat eather.

oakville smoker

Thanks Mrs

I have one more rack I will have to turn into a dinner but I wont be in a hurry to do it
These are very expesnive for bones and fat and little meat
And the cook time and effort does not justify the end result

I would spend the money on some rice steaks or a small prime rin instead

Ka Honu

Quote from: oakville smoker on March 08, 2010, 02:33:35 PMI would spend the money on some rice steaks or a small prime rin instead

Okay, I'll bite (so to speak).  Is a "rice steak" the boneless version of a "prime rin?"  Are they from an animal readily recognizable to most of us or some kind of "healthy" food substitute resulting from recent innovations in the Japanese whaling industry, a world-wide tofu shortage, or global warming?

DjSaneR

I did short ribs. They took about 12 hours but came out absolutely delicious.
The one on the bottom is a brisket, so just ignore that.
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

Slamdunk

DJ, don't leave us hanging!

How did you do them?

Details please. I want to try some but there hasn't been a really positive post with details.....

DjSaneR

Honestly I didn't do anything special for them to come out good.  I used my favorite brisket rub applied 24hrs prior, smoked with hickory and left them in for roughly 12hrs @ 210-220.

My friend marinated his in soy sauce and vingar for 1hr, put the in the smoker and sauced with an Asian-type of sauce. They were DELCIOUS. Everyone @ the party loved all the different ribs.

We were having a beef ribs 'Throwdown' @ my house with a bunch of friends. We intended to use normal beef ribs, however, for some reason no supermarkets/butchers in a 15 mile radius had any.  Sam's Club had these short ribs so we decided to give them a shot and decided that it would make for an even more interesting contest.
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer