another Pastrami

Started by squirtthecat, March 06, 2010, 07:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

I am thinking it is time to make some pastrami. Seems that is the hot cook this time of the year. And they all look so dang good.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

When I cut this one out of the bag, the smell was amazing...   Garlic/hot Paprika/Thyme...

Looking forward to slicing into it on Tuesday.    When it is done cooking, I'll FTM it for a while, then cool/vacuum seal for at least 24 hours.

seemore

STC....damm that looks good
seemore

squirtthecat

Thanks MrS!

IT is 150°
Will pull it when it hits the 165 or so...

West Coast Kansan

shoot ... got to the end and it turns out i beat the cook.  Coming back for the final pictures. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

squirtthecat

I don't think this one turned out very well.  It was 9PM before it hit 160.  ???  (10.5 hours after I started)
Felt pretty dried out...  I wrapped it up tight and put it in the fridge, so we'll see what it looks like when we slice into it tonight.

Hmm..    Will try smoking, them steaming next time.

FLBentRider

Quote from: squirtthecat on March 08, 2010, 04:38:02 AM

I don't think this one turned out very well.  It was 9PM before it hit 160.  ???  (10.5 hours after I started)
Felt pretty dried out...  I wrapped it up tight and put it in the fridge, so we'll see what it looks like when we slice into it tonight.

Hmm..    Will try smoking, them steaming next time.

I don't take them that high. Maybe 150F, I know it's going to be a little tough, but if you slice it thin it's all good. I think the whole process in the Bradley is maybe four hours.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

If it's too tough for you, feel free to send it to me.  I'll be happy to dispose of it for you. :D

Seriously, I'll bet when you slice it thinly and gently reheat it before piling on a sandwich, it will be just fine.

Good job Pat.

squirtthecat

Ok - thanks guys!   I'll go easier on the heat the next time.
I'll bring it in tomorrow and have our lunch lady slice it on her big commercial rig.

PS.  I did this one fat side down.  I probably won't do that again.

OU812

The pastrami sounds good to me.

I'm sure it will be fine once it gets sliced and stacked on a sammie with some other fixins.

The Penzeys Spices are all I use anymore, good stuff.

SnellySmokesEm

QuotePS.  I did this one fat side down.  I probably won't do that again.

What is your reason for not wanting to cook with the fat side down?  I have seen a few post from other guys who have done it fat side down.  I smoked mine fat side up based on my experience with brisket and butt and the theory of the fat rendering through the meat.  Like I said in my pastrami post I did trim the fat cap after the cook but will trim before next time
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

squirtthecat

Well, all is not lost after all!   Took it out of the fridge, and it felt nice and moist.  Maybe it took a night resting for the juices to redistribute.   

The rub has a SERIOUS kick.  And it looks mean, too..  :o

Looking forward to trying it tomorrow, after it is sliced up at the office cafeteria.

Up In Smoke

Got 2 roasts in the freezer that will be pastrami soon!
Good lookin' rub STC.....gonna have to give this one a shot for sure!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

hal4uk

That "HALF"-sharp Hungarian is WICKED...
Did it penetrate? 
Hot enough for ya?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

Quote from: hal4uk on March 08, 2010, 07:28:44 PM
That "HALF"-sharp Hungarian is WICKED...
Did it penetrate? 
Hot enough for ya?

Just tasted the bits on the outside...   WOW. [cough cough]

Barb will slice it up tomorrow AM, and pile into the sandwich bar.   
I'll send out some teaser emails in the morning to drum up business for her..