Yet Another Garage Smoking Setup

Started by ArnieM, March 08, 2010, 10:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

First, I had to vent out the door.  The wall the smoker is on faces the street and the chief wouldn't go for cutting holes in the house  >:(

Anyway, this was my "proof of concept" setup, done a couple of weeks ago. 

It sorta worked so I was encouraged.  I got some parts at Lowes; HomeDepot didn't have them.  Here they are on my 'workbench', the D.R. table.  The chief is out.

They're all 6" diameter.  That 6" pipe with the flange looks like it was made for the OBS.  That, along with the 90o elbow got me going.

I didn't use the "sticky back" paper and instead used four #8x1/2 inch sheet metal screws.

This gave me access to the vent with a little modification.  See the next two pics.

The final assembly.

What I learned:

• The exhaust vent should extend another few feet.  Got some smoke blown back into the garage.  The neighbors think I'm nuts.
  • Got some condensation dripping from the elbow/vent connection with a lot more at the end of the vent.  No black rain on the ribs though.  I think an inline fan is probably in order.
  • The weather is getting better.  BACK OUTSIDE.

Well, it kept me busy for a while.  What did you want painted honey  ??? ???  Let's keep our priorities straight  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

seemore

classicrockgriller

Looking good there Arnie.

The weather is getting nice, I had to mow this past weekend, yuck!

I think I have seen if you put a fan inline then you have to notch the vent where

it meets the Bradley to keep from sucking the heat out fo the cabinet.

Congrats on a nice job.

SnellySmokesEm

QuoteThe neighbors think I'm nuts.

Lol thats pretty funny! 
What we will go through to out a little smoke on our meat.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

OU812

Looks like your gettin closer to a smoke free garage.  ;D

So how do you adjust the vent? Pull off the elbow?

ArnieM

Quote from: OU812 on March 08, 2010, 11:45:00 AM

I usually smoke with the vent wide open.  But, yes, pulling off the elbow would work; that''s what I "designed" it for.

This is what gets me.  You buy a range, microwave, toaster, waffle iron, Traeger, MAK, Weber and - hey - you USE it.  With the Bradley, it's drill holes, get bricks, find a fan, adding a heating element, make a smoke stack.  What's wrong with us people?

-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

Quote from: ArnieM on March 08, 2010, 12:53:55 PM
Quote from: OU812 on March 08, 2010, 11:45:00 AM

We are ADDICTES! Looking for the perfect blue smoke. ;D

I usually smoke with the vent wide open.  But, yes, pulling off the elbow would work; that''s what I "designed" it for.

This is what gets me.  You buy a range, microwave, toaster, waffle iron, Traeger, MAK, Weber and - hey - you USE it.  With the Bradley, it's drill holes, get bricks, find a fan, adding a heating element, make a smoke stack.  What's wrong with us people?

OU812

Quote from: ArnieM on March 08, 2010, 12:53:55 PM
What's wrong with us people?

Inhaling to much smoke, plus its fun to tinker with things.

Quarlow

Looks like the evolution is coming along nicely Cuzin'
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Yeah, it is kinda fun to tinker with it (the OBS).  I sent Brian a PM last week suggesting a "DIY" topic might be nice.  He pretty much rejected it saying no matter how many disclaimers there were saying that Bradley doesn't condone these modifications, some idiot would blow up the house and sue Bradley.  I guess I can't blame him there.

Hey Cuzin', I was looking at B.C a couple of years ago.  Worked with an IT guy at Overwaitea.  The area sounded nice (Pacific side of the mountains).  Now that I'm outa work and useless, it sounds more attractive.  Please send me a PM with your comments.
-- Arnie