• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My local butcher, update ...

Started by ArnieM, March 10, 2010, 09:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

(OK, I'm all excited  ;D ;D  Sorry for the long post.)

Finding a local butcher around here isn't easy.  Newtown is the fifth largest town in square miles (60+) in Connecticut (a small state) with a population of 20-something thousand.  It also has/had the largest horse population in the state.  So, it's not like walking down to the corner to find a butcher shop.  This guy has a small area in a local deli.

I'm building a relationship.  Every time I drop in I bring some samples; smoked cheese, Canadian Bacon, Spice-N-Slice salami, whatever.  So now, we're on a first name basis.

I've been wanting to do bacon so I asked about pork bellies.  He said "Sure, how much do you want?"  I asked for 2-3 pounds and he went 'in back' and cut off a hunk.  It's just about ready to come out of the maple cure and get smoked.

I noticed he had stuffed peppers - love 'em.  Stuffed with GB, sausage and rice.  He gave me two for 2 bucks.  They were GOOD.

I went in yesterday.  He does barrel-pickled corned beef and is taking orders for St. Patty's day.  I told him I'd really like to do my own but it's tough finding brisket at a decent price.  He went in back again (I've got to get in there) and brought this out.

I said "How much?"  He said "$2/pound, got a good deal last week."  I asked how many more he had back there but he wouldn't part with any more of 'em.  Corned beef and pastrami are right around the corner  :D

I figured it was just about time to get out of there - but.  He had some oysters, $1 each.  I asked for a half-dozen.  He gave me a bag of them, no charge.

Finally, the butcher asked if I've ever met (forgot his name, have to take notes).  He has the sheep farm on the other side of town.  (I've lived here for 20 years and never heard of the sheep farm.)  He just dropped off this lamb.  OK, give me a couple of those chops.  Done up on the grill with some of NePaS secret seasoning (Christmas gift), zucchini and red potatoes.

I hope I haven't bored you too much.  It's just so nice finding a place like this!

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

Sweet find Arnie.

It's all about the relationships.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

seemore

Cool, Arnie!   Now you have found someone to facilitate your addiction!!!!!  ;)
Mrs

OU812

Man you so gotta be in heaven right now.

All that goodness you got there has my mouth watering and my tummy growling.

dbondy

Thats awesome Arnie, were kind of spoiled around my neck of the woods. There is a least 5 good local butchers, but there is only 2 that I have a first name relationship with. One of them I use for my pork and poultry needs and the other is for all my beef and veal orders. Also I like that all of the meat is raised in the local area. I just wish that I could buy brisket at your price, I just payed 4 bucks a pound for the ones I got. Brisket isn,t very popular here yet, so I always have to order it in.

KevinG

Good deal Arnie, looks like you've met the right guy! I was curious and had to get out the magnifying glass and look at my wall map to figure out where Connecticut was. ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

squirtthecat