• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Anyone using fat replacer ?

Started by Fair-chase, March 15, 2010, 07:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fair-chase

How would fat replacer in place of pork or beef fat work with smoked venison summer sausage or snack sticks.

With there being less and less small butcher shops around,  getting fat or trimmings especially in small amounts is getting challenging. I make alot of 10# batches , and buying 2# of fat trimmings is hard to do. Not to mention getting the grinder out to grind 2# of fat. I have all my venison pre ground and frozen in 5 # bags.

Ketch22

Hi I get mine at the food store like foodtown shopright,pathmark,foodtown I get it free

Ketch

mow_delon

Never tried a fat replacer.  Usually use about 7 lbs venison and 3 lb pork for my sausage.  This ratio leaves my sausage texture moist and delicious.  I just buy ground pork from the grocery store or if there is a good sale, will buy a roast and grind it.  There is plenty of fat to keep sausage texture the way it should be.  My last batch of sticks, I didn't even use pork, just deer and it turned out pretty good, but a little dry.

NePaSmoKer

Yeah i have used it, but still not as good as old fashioned fat.

slider

Depending on where you have your venison ground they will usually put the fat in when they grind it.

Ketch22

Hi
Here is a recipe I have made for Venison Breakfast Sausage

7 pounds lean venison, 3 pounds pork fat,
one-third cup salt,
one half cup brown surgar,
1 1/2 tablespoons sage,
2 teaspoons pepper
and 2 teaspoons red pepper
directions:cut venison and fat into half-inch cubes mix ingredients and stir with meat
Run through sausage grinder.Make into half-inch patties and fry as need. makes 10# of sausage

I have cook it out on the grill and put on a hard roll they are real good.

Ketch

anderson5420

You might try a specialty store that caters to Hispanics, or a grocery chain in an area with a large Hispanic section.  That's where I found my supply of back fat after striking out in all the major grocery chains around here. The other option is to buy pork belly from a butcher shop which is usually more available.   
So many recipes, so little time!