• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Goose jerky

Started by RAF128, March 17, 2010, 05:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

A friend gave me 8 snow goose breasts.   I know they're not the greatest eating so decided I'm going to make some jerky with them.    I like to use the HM kits and I know they make one for goose breasts but the local stores don't have any.   I've been looking since last fall with no luck.   I can't order from HM as they don't deliver to Canada according to their web site, if I read it correctly.   Anyway I'm going to use some pepper blend that I've used on venision.

wally22

RAF128, I have used the Original Blend jerky cure on goose and people love it and the can't even tell it"s goose. So I don't see you having any problem with it, good luck. Let me know how it turns out I have a freind that maybe going and I was thinking of having him save some for me.

CK

Hey RAF I live in Canada as well and use the HM cures, I get it from Wholesale sports usually in Kamloops BC as driving through town.

But they have stores in Edmonton, Calgary, Grande Prairie and Saskatoon i think.  I'm sure they have Internet shopping. 
Don't know if you are in the east or the west.

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/home/camping/food-food-preparation/food-preparation/c0-c30-c305-c30506-p1.html

RAF128

I'm in Saskatoon and the place I referred to was Wholesale sports.   I don't know about their stores elsewhere but this one has gone down hill in the last few years.   Don't have a lot of stock and if you order takes forever to get it, if you ever do, and when it arrives you forgot what you wanted it for.   I have some original blend on hand, left over from the last batch, and some pepper blend.   Maybe I'll toss a coin and decide which way to go ;)

RAF128

Just finished putting the goose jerky in the Bradley.    Smoking with Hickory.    Should be close to done in about 4 hours.

RAF128

Here it is.    1 hr at 140 and 3 hrs at 160 with 2 hrs of Hickory smoke.    Used the Original blend HM kit, and after a couple of tastes it's pretty good, if I do say so myself.   
Just letting it cool and then will vacuum seal.    I only had 8 goose breast and I'm sure it won't last long.