• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pulled Pork Loin in Sauce

Started by Habanero Smoker, March 18, 2010, 01:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Pulled Pork Loin in Sauce.

Over the past several months there have been many inquiries if pork loin can be pulled. The other day I was in a store and saw a small pork loin at a reasonable price, plus it had a coupon attached for another $2.00 off the total price. So I figured this was as good of time as any to try one for myself.

A more detailed recipe is on the recipe site; Pulled Pork Loin. This was about a 2.75 pound roast. I smoked it with 2 hours of pecan, until a fork could easily be inserted and removed without resistance. For this roast the internal temperature was 185°F.

I was pleasantly surprised. I only applied salt and pepper for seasoning, and really enjoyed the flavor and texture.

Sauce:
1 C. cider vinegar
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp Maple syrup or honey
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tps dried oregano (optional)
1/4 tps Dried thyme leaves (optional)
Make approximately 1 1/4 cups.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Pulled Loin isn't just to bad is it? Although a bit pricey if you ask me. Looks like it was a good meal
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Seems like my store (HEB) runs whole pork loins (7 to 8 lb'ers) on sale every other month for $.99 lb.

The shrinkage is a whole lot less that a Butt.

Might have to give this a try.

OU812

That sounds and looks good.

Heck if you think about it its probably healthier than a butt too.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OU812 on March 18, 2010, 08:51:34 AM

Not if you inject it with Creole Butter before cooking. ;D

Tenpoint5

I have done a couple for my brother. The only thing I have noticed is that you do need to add a sauce to it. The meat is much dryer than a butt
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 18, 2010, 09:00:57 AM
Quote from: OU812 on March 18, 2010, 08:51:34 AM

Not if you inject it with Creole Butter before cooking. ;D

I didnt say I was lookin for some health food.  ;D  Mmmmmm Butter.

Habanero Smoker

It didn't need that much sauce, actually I applied the same amount of sauce as I would my butts. I was also careful not to go to high in meat temperature. I started to take it out at 180°F, but tested it with a fork, and let it go another 5 degrees. I believe that is the key to the texture.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

classicrockgriller

What was your smoking/cooking temp?

OU812

On the recipe site he has the answer.  ;D

Habanero Smoker

That's my bad! :) As I read my original post the link is not that obvious.

Pulled Pork Loin

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Bangkok Smoke

k.. I had asked this last weekend.. but I took mine off the smoker at like 149, 150 so it was a 'slice-able' roast, not the puled texture.

But good. Now I will try one on longer. I think I will foil it a bit and hour or so..

Good find on the recipe!

pensrock

We stop at some friends camp on the first day of fishing season, mainly to drink beer, chow down and tell stories.  ;D
They take a whole loin every year and roast it then pull it, they keep it in a crock with bbq sauce. Its really good but no smoke flavor and cost a lot more than butt. They also make wild leek soup normally with venison. Its really good also.

Habanero Smoker

In my area pork loin doesn't cost that much more then butts, and often if you can find whole loin on sale and it is cheaper.

The leek soup sounds good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.