anybody tried this?

Started by tinger82, March 21, 2010, 02:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinger82

Anybody tried using franks red hot or tabassco sauce as a wet marinade for whole muscle jerky?

FLBentRider

I used it as a base for some chicken jerky.

check this thread - http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10173.0
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mow_delon

I find that the heat of tabasco cooks out, while a little flavor remains.  My personal opinion is that if you want the heat, use cayenne pepper and if you want the flavor, use white and black pepper.  I still sometimes use hot sauce in my jerkey and sausage, but only if the recipe I am using calls for it.  In my own recipes, I use something else.

pensrock

I marinade wings in Franks Xhot, then grill. After crispy I toss them in a mixture of Franks Xhot, cayenne powder, melted butter, parm and garlic. MMmmm

seemore

PENS that is not nice now I what wings
seemore

NewfieSmoker

I like a similar heat in my jerky.  However, most hot sauces do cook off the heat as you mentioned.  I did a batch of "suicide" jerky awhile back and I used a bit of "really" hot sauce.  "DA BOMB-Ground Zero" was the name.  It is basically a Habanero extract with very high scoville units.  I mixed a few drops with just enough regular hot sauce to get it to coat all the meat and it really turned out well.  The heat was sneaky... really built up as the meat "rehydrated" in your mouth.

Have Beer handy!

Newfie
Smoke em if you got em!

Rob

pensrock

QuotePENS that is not nice now I what wings
seemore

Me too, make enough for me.  ;D ;D ;D

Indy Smoker

I've used tobasco, and like the others have said, it cooks off.  The best way to heat things up is with some dried peppers, and don't forget to add 'fresh' ground peppercorns too.

DTAggie

I use Franks on pistachios.  They have a small kick.  Made chex mix in the OBS last week with Tabasco and it was kickin.