My 6 rack is now a 18 rack

Started by OU812, March 22, 2010, 03:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

I've had the parts laying around for a month now and finally had time to get this done. First the smoker as a 6 rack, you can see in the middle where I have the probe for the PID. I dont have the V tray in eather.

A close up of how I did my fan's.

A close up of the probe, I made the mountin bracket from stainless steel.

Had to move the probe down a little so it clears all the racks, put a screw in the old hole, dont want any moisture gettin in there.

Walla, we now have a 18 rack Bradley smoker. Had to scrape off the sides so there was no gunk behind the shelfs. Man what a mess that made.

I'm goin to need 6 more racks.

This is how I have some bricks for a heat sink, the puck on the left is a walnut branch cut the same size as a bubba puck.

All back together and fired up to season again, the fans are on.

Now I'm ready for some snick sticks with out havin to invert any racks, man what a pain that was.

RickWL63

OU,

Where did you get your parts?  (PID, 2nd element, racks and mounts, fans, etc).

Rick

Sorry I haven't been on in a while guys.  Had a unexpected funeral to attend in Ft Worth, long drive, been playing catch up at work and home ever since.

OU812

Rick,

This is the PID I have.

You can get all the other stuff at Smoke & Stuff thats smokeitall's place.

RickWL63

Thanks.  Will have to check it all out when I get home.  Leaving work now.

classicrockgriller

I only installed a single fan in mine and kinda wish I had installed two.

Might do a redo and block up the holes I put in it.

I see you have a shroud over your fan, did you leave a gap for air?

I couldn't tell with all that smoke stuff in there. ;D

OU812

CRG,

Yep, there is 3/8" gap at the top and I aimed the shroud down a little.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OU812 on March 22, 2010, 03:53:02 PM
CRG,

Thanks, Did you ever have a single fan in it?

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 22, 2010, 04:03:47 PM
Quote from: OU812 on March 22, 2010, 03:53:02 PM
CRG,

Thanks, Did you ever have a single fan in it?

Nope, I thought about it but wile sittin and thinkin about the way I wanted to move the air around I went with 2 right out the gate.

classicrockgriller

One works great, but two should work twice as good.

Thanks OU.

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 22, 2010, 04:24:18 PM
One works great, but two should work twice as good.

Thanks OU.

Any time my friend.

classicrockgriller

How many times did you have to stop and eat from sticking

your head in that Bradley and smelling all of it's goodness? ;D

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 22, 2010, 04:45:38 PM
How many times did you have to stop and eat from sticking

your head in that Bradley and smelling all of it's goodness? ;D

Thats what the bottle on the left was for.  ;D

Sure smelled good in there though.

I cut all the pieces from stock that was 6' long and got carried away, cut 8 to many pieces.  ::)

Toker

Sorry OU, did you measure the difference (degrees) between each rack? Some members here said it has a 9 degrees difference between top and bottom but it still remain a hot spot on the left side did you remarked one yourself? And for the OBS (that's what I have for now but i plan to buy a 2ND a 6 rack too) would you suggest me to install 1 or 2? I already have 1 in hand ready to be installed, do i have to order an other one?

And what are the measures, i mean for 1 it says 7 15/16 from the bottom center but what are the measures for 2? I guess they have to be more on the side but do you know a little bit more exact pls?

stinger

Can you give details on your dual fan install?

OU812

I dont have the exact measurements for the fans as I did them years ago.

What I did is take 2 double outlet box's and a switch box then connected them together to get my center to center measurement. Then laid the smoker on its back with the V tray and bottom rack in place so I could place the fans in without any thing touchin. I tried to get the fans as close to the V tray as possable so I had room for the shrouds. I also had to cut off about 1/2" of the  lip of the V tray on each side at the back so it could slide over the rear pins with out comin in contact with the fans.

I drilled the holes from the inside using a drill bit the same side as the shaft of the motor so I could mount the motors perpendicular to the smoker back. After the motor assembly was mounted and every thing was aliened I took the assembly off and drilled the holes larger so the shafts could spin free. Then reinstalled every thing for a test run. Had to do some tweakin to get every thing lined up but the second time I put it back together it worked perfect.

This is how I reinforced the back so every thing was solid.

There is a small hot spot in the back left corner but the rest of the smoker is with in 9 deg. The fans really help with keepin the heat even top to bottom.

Hope this made sense.