• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

PID - is one probe sufficent or are two really necessary?

Started by Rich_91360, March 24, 2010, 02:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_91360

Will be ordering a PID and wondering if the advantages of a two probe are really significant?  How much of an advantage / ease of use does one achieve.
Thanks

Tenpoint5

I have only recently obtained a PID. From the information I have gathered from the fine folks on here. The single probe unit is able to ramp up the temps only on timed intervals. The dual probe PID is able to ramp up the temps via Internal temps. Most of this is more of a concern for sausage making but a PID is not needed to make sausage, but it sure helps. Trust me I have done the 30+ hour smokes with sausage and have been there babysitting it the whole way.

I am sure one of the folks that has a dual probe will be along shortly to give you better info on it than I have. While your waiting for them Hawkeyesmokes wrote up a really good article for the Forum Newsletter. It is Here
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

The dual probe unit will allow you to program based on internal temperature in addition to time.

For example:
Dual probe:
Set box temp to 250 until IT is 100F
then set box temp to 220F until IT is 140F
then set box temp to 205F until IT is 190F
set box temp to 190F to keep warm

single probe:
set box temp to 250F for 1 hour
set box temp to 225F for 8 hours
set box temp to 205F for 20 hours

The dual probe can do a combination of time and IT stages.

I have a single probe and have the dual in the box, I have not had time to break it out and test it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

I have a single probe and I got mine before they started makin the single probe with the ramp function so I have to do all the rampin by hand. No biggie just need to keep track of the time.

The only time I really need to ramp is when doin sausage.

OU812

classicrockgriller

I have the dual, but sometimes use just the temp probe and set for time on long smokes.

The thing about the dual: If you can get it (they are having a hard time keeping it in inventory)

and can afford the dual, get it and you'll have it if you need it.

Paddlinpaul

I ordered my single on Sunday and they did not even have the double listed on the web site. I also ordered the 3 pack of ring pucks.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

smokeNcanuck

QuoteI have the dual, but sometimes use just the temp probe and set for time on long smokes.

The thing about the dual: If you can get it (they are having a hard time keeping it in inventory)

and can afford the dual, get it and you'll have it if you need it.

I'm with the smoking monkey ;) I have the dual probe and love it.  The option of controlling temp by IT is well
worth the extra money.
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

Rich_91360

Thanks for all the great info.  Now which manufacturer / model do you recommend for the dual probe

classicrockgriller

Rich_91360

Google search does not find a corresponding item based on this model name/number

Paddlinpaul

Nor does the Auber website.

When I click on the model under the "Whats new in March" area it is a dead link. You may want to contact them, they are either out of stock or discontinued.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

classicrockgriller

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14&zenid=37444d02cbb3cd7f3f743872ecb63a4a

Looks like they are temporary out of stock on the dual.

You can call and see what kinda est. time to get one and make a decission based on what he tells you.

The single probe is in stock.

Plus he went up $10 more.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 25, 2010, 07:10:38 AM
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14&zenid=37444d02cbb3cd7f3f743872ecb63a4a

Looks like they are temporary out of stock on the dual.

You can call and see what kinda est. time to get one and make a decission based on what he tells you.

The single probe is in stock.

Plus he went up $10 more.

The last time I talked with Suyi from Auber, he expected some back in stock the end of this month. He does have a waiting list that you can get on if you like.
HawkeyeSmokes

RAF128

I just recently bought a single probe and it really works well for me.   That said, I sometimes wish I'd have bought the dual.    Several times I was doing sausage and as luck would have it I had to leave when the IT was getting close to the target temp.   I lucked out and the temp hadn't got there yet when I got home but it was close.   If I had it to do over I'd get the dual just for the feature of being able to stop the heat when meat hit the right temp.
The really nice thing about the PID is how tight it keeps the temp.   I've also noticed that the temp indicated on the Bradley is much high that the temp shown on the PID.   I've used a temp probe to confirm that the PID was right.    That might explain why things took longer before I had the PID.   A recent example was some jerky.    I started it a 120 for an hour and stepped it up to 160.   It was done at 3 1/2 hours.   Before it took between 5 and 6 hours.   
Sorry for rambling.