I MADE IT !! I MADE IT !!! PART TWO

Started by Valkyrie, April 30, 2005, 06:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valkyrie

Here I am: after three succesfully feasts with thee BS: I ENJOY IT A LOT. I received it (SS BS) three weeks ago, and here is what I did first: drumsticks, Jamison's way. They were delectable (like the name of the recipe), but I should have grill them after smoking, to give a crisp to the skin. Even my two daughter (3 and 5 years old) ate them with MMMMM.
I've made also a batch of salmon, the Wade's way, as shown on the video on BS site (I used maple). TOTAL SUCCESS[8D]. So great, that I filled the BS the day after with salmon spiced the same way, but using apple wood: EVEN BETTER[;)][;)].
The last meal I did was chicken wings, again Jamison's way: TERRIFIC[^][^][^].
Unfortunately, it's raining since 10 days, and I seriousely think in building a smoke shack attached to my deck: that way I will be able to work the BS comfortably, and I will be able to use it in the rain.
I also bought some books: Barbecue secrets, written by Ron Shewchuk; the Smoked-food cookbook, from Lue & Ed Park; Still smoking, from Cookshak; Smoke cooking, from Better Homes and Gardens; Championship barbecue, from Paul Kirk; and the last but nor the least, Where there's smoke, there's flavor, from Richard W. Langer.
I'm planning pork butt and brisket for the next weeks.
By the way, thank's everyone in advise for my Polder thermometer. I have to tell you that it is really the probe that got crazy, because I'm using the same unit with another probe, and it worked well. It was not the battery.
Now I have a question for you all: on the BS, does the door thermometer is accurate? Because for the long way with butt or brisket it have to be. I read that I should put a wet towel around it. Is it best to do so[?] Should I use an oven unit sitting on a grate?

SMOKE IS NOT A JOKE[:(!][}:)]

VALKYRIE

Chez Bubba

Val,

Most of the time the in-door thermo is spot-on, but when it's wrong, it's really wrong. If your house is 70F & you set your smoker on the counter for a few hours, what does the thermo say?

If it says 135F or 50F, call Bradley, they will happily replace it.

I don't recall hearing about the theory of wrapping it with a towel, the only thing you must be cautious of is that it doesn't come into contact with the meat.

Happy for your early success, hope you continue to enjoy it.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Now I have a question for you all: on the BS, does the door thermometer is accurate? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

On my second one... both were wrong from the get go~~!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

I feel that I prbably have one of the few door theromos that is right on the money.  I have kept silent due to the fact I did not want to jink-x it.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

JJC

Mine is pretty good, too.  It's obviously slower to react to temp changes than the Mav or other digital probe, but at equilibrium it's within 5-7 degrees of the Mav (on the high side).  In fact, when I just want to measure cabinet temp and not meat temp, I don't bother using the Mav, since I can just add about 5F onto the BS gauge.

Geez, hope I didn't put the kabosh on mine, too . . .[;)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I feel that I prbably have one of the few door theromos that is right on the money. I have kept silent due to the fact I did not want to jink-x it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Boo Hissssss

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!