SODIUM NITRATE

Started by chain smoker, March 24, 2010, 06:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain smoker

WHERE CAN I GET SODIUM NITRATE? I'M HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING ANY.

THANKS FOR ANY RESPONSES!

FLBentRider

Sodium NitrAte is in Cure#2 - this is for dry curing meats like pepperoni. This is a "long acting" cure. Actually Cure#2 contains NitrAte and NitrIte - the NitrAte breaks down into NitrIte over time

Sodium NitrIte is cure #1 - used for sausage and jerky.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

FL steered you right. If you still want it The Sausage Maker carries it, it is listed as Insta Cure No.2  on page 25 of the Spring Catalog 2010.

#11250  for 8 oz. @ $5.99
#11300 for 1 lbs @ $9.99
#11400 for 5 lbs. @ $19.99

Here's the link.
www.sausagemaker.com
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Slamdunk

I was out this past w/e to a local rural area butcher shop, who smokes and sells a lot of meat, picking up some pork belly and brisket. I mentioned that I am starting out in the hobby of smoking foods but haven't been able to find a place to buy Cure #1 etc.

He replied that it was because Sodium Nitrate is / can be used to make bombs!! He mentioned the Oklahoma bombing as an example where a large quantity of fertilizer, which contains a lot of sodium nitrate, was the main bomb ingredient.

He also said that he, even though having been in the same business for 40 years, has a hard time buying it and must account for all he buys! So, he couldn't sell me any but did give me a small bag of it.

So, there ya go....I'd suggest trying the other recommendations to your post, but also suggest you go talk to a local butcher.

Habanero Smoker

Hi chain smoker;

Welcome to the forum. Most important, where are your from. If you are outside the U.S.A, then using sodium nitrate or saltpeter may be common for where you live. Sodium nitrate is difficult to get in the U.S.A., and it is not recommended for curing in it's pure state. And as mentioned above, it is not recommended for curing any food that will be cooked.

Here is a link that provides a description of some of the most common cures (pure and premixed):
Curing Salts
If you browser opens the window in a small screen, after you maximize the screen you may have to scroll up until you see the Curing Salts.

When you are finished reading the section on Curing Salts click on the "Return to List", it will give you a list of other sausage ingredients.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

Quote from: slamdunk on March 24, 2010, 09:45:23 PM
He mentioned the Oklahoma bombing as an example where a large quantity of fertilizer, which contains a lot of sodium nitrate, was the main bomb ingredient.

Actually, that is Ammonium Nitrate..   'ANFO' (fertilizer mixed with fuel oil)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: squirtthecat on March 25, 2010, 05:04:21 AM
He mentioned the Oklahoma bombing as an example where a large quantity of fertilizer, which contains a lot of sodium nitrate, was the main bomb ingredient.

When i was at home or closest neighbor was an LA County bomb squad Sgt. ANFO is correct along with charcoal, potassium nitrate and sulfer. Makes one hell of a boom  ;D  My mom said the windows rattled 5 miles away  :D

squirtthecat

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 25, 2010, 10:59:42 AM
Quote from: squirtthecat on March 25, 2010, 05:04:21 AM

When i was at home or closest neighbor was an LA County bomb squad Sgt. ANFO is correct along with charcoal, potassium nitrate and sulfer. Makes one hell of a boom  ;D  My mom said the windows rattled 5 miles away  :D

They used to use it around us growing up to clear beaver dams from all of the drainage ditches.   Fertilizer/diesel fuel mixed in a 1/2 gallon milk jug.  Then a tiny bit of 'real' explosives to detonate it.   Big boom.  Flying mud.  Lots of angry beavers...

KevinG

Sounds like one heck of a mud wrestling tournament!  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

NePaSmoKer

BANG

Now Ward your makin the beaver angry  :D  :D