• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Mid-Week BUTT Experiment ...... The Madness Continues

Started by classicrockgriller, March 25, 2010, 01:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Looks like there is a lot of "Buggers" on the butts when they are cut that way CRG. Kinda like heating salmon to high to fast.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 25, 2010, 07:50:42 PM
Looks like there is a lot of "Buggers" on the butts when they are cut that way CRG. Kinda like heating salmon to high to fast.

You do have some of the colligen and fat "perkin", but that just makes for a better bark.

I did flip these right after the smoke time and added more Cajun slaughter to one of them (Bottom)

Also, the Stallin's Boudain will not be in my groc Basket again.

classicrockgriller

Due to my Madness, I have went from getting up later in morn to gettin up Early.

Did these while I was getting my Bradley smoke ready. These were done in my Traeger.

classicrockgriller

OU812

CRG,

Have you tried eather of the Boudin recipes?

KyNola

CRG,
I am watching those butts to see how this turns out.  Interesting twist.

Thanks for the critique on the Stallins Boudain.  Will know to pass on that one.

SnellySmokesEm

Nice butts.  I cant wait to get off work and get the smoke rolling at my house!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OU812 on March 26, 2010, 06:21:55 AM
CRG,

OU, I haven't made Boudain per say. We make Dirty Rice which is close. Trying to work up the courage to use my stuffer. ;D

Quote from: KyNola on March 26, 2010, 06:22:51 AM
CRG,
I am watching those butts to see how this turns out.  Interesting twist.

Thanks for the critique on the Stallins Boudain.  Will know to pass on that one.

I was kinda in a hurry when I put this all together and really didn't think about the casing size difference.

The DJ's brand is plumper and I smoked them (Stalling's) for the same amount of time and the Stalling's got a little dry.

I will try it one more time and be aware of the time I smoke it. Son says he likes it.

These Butts were done after 17 1/2 hours. I pulled them off at 187* and put them in FTC.

smokeNcanuck

And thus ends yet a nother lesson in how to
smoke some butt! ;)(the hard part is lighting it)
GREAT as always CRG!!  Hope my mini turns out as well.
sNc
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

dbondy

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 26, 2010, 08:05:58 AM
CRG,

OU, I haven't made Boudain per say. We make Dirty Rice which is close. Trying to work up the courage to use my stuffer. ;D

Take a break from those butts and give your attention to makin some Boudin.  ;D

Of the 2 recipes witch one looks like it would be the best?

All these posts with Boudin makes me wanta try some.

classicrockgriller

Got everything pulled and pkged and my belly is full.

Had a sammie of the cajun marinaded pork with the starter rolls I made this week.

Delicious.

Butt#1

The cuts in the pork were pretty severe and this butt was a little dry. Both butts cooked up faster than normal.

The seasoning really got deep into the pork. If I did this again I would lower the finish IT or foil for the last couple of hours.

Butt #2

This worked and was great. The seasoning and the marinade found little place to hide and flavor the meat.

It was very moist and the Cajun slather was some fine eatin. I will do this one again for sure.

A friend came over to borrow a couple of my 4 wheelers and we each had a sammie of Cajun pulled pork

on the homemade sweet rolls, fritos, jalapeno olives and pepperonicis. Delicious!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OU812 on March 26, 2010, 11:51:37 AM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 26, 2010, 08:05:58 AM
CRG,

Take a break from those butts and give your attention to makin some Boudin.  ;D

Of the 2 recipes witch one looks like it would be the best?

All these posts with Boudin makes me wanta try some.

Curt I like Liver in my Boudain, either pork or chicken.

OU812

So you thinkin I should try this one?

Boudin - With Liver

3 pounds boneless pork butt or shoulder, in large chunks
1 pound pork liver
3 cups raw long grain rice
4 medium yellow onions, quartered
2 bunches green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
4 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons white pepper

Place the pork and pork liver in separate saucepans, cover with water, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat, skim and simmer until tender, about 1 hour. Cook the rice.
Remove the cooked pork and liver and let cool. Discard the liver stock. Reserve 1 pint of the pork stock and discard the rest. Put the pork,
liver and onions through a meat grinder with a medium disc, or grind it coarse in a food processor. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and mix in the green onions, garlic, parsley, salt, peppers and cooked rice. Adjust seasonings.
For traditional boudin, stuff into sausage casings. Boudin links are generally about a foot long. You can also serve it out of cups or bowls as
a rice dressing.

classicrockgriller

That ought to taste pretty good.

You might try cutting that in half and eat it as a side dish and see what you might want to change.

When Wifie comes home I see if I can get her "Dirty Rice".

If you do that then after your mix everything together, put in back in a skillet on low and just cook "some" of the moisture out of it.

You do want it a little moist when you stuff it and smoke it.