• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Taking the jump this weekend.

Started by LFord, May 04, 2005, 02:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LFord

The new deck is finished and SWMBO(she who must be obeyed)[:)]has decided that since I had no problems with the new table and chairs I can buy a new smoker. After checking out the Cookshack, Smokin-Tex and Bradley I decided to go with the Bradley.
I started out with a Brinkman water smoker about 10 years ago and fell in love with smoking my own foods. 2 years ago I got a great deal on an off-set fire box smoker and while I love it, the novelty has worn off a bit and adding charcoal and wood chips every hour or so while cooking a turkey for 12 hours gets a bit tiresome.
I will be picking it up Friday night and getting it seasoned Saturday morning and hope to have some ribs on it for Saturday's dinner.

Fermentation and civilization are inseperable-John Ciardi

manxman

Welcome to the forum, you have definately made a good choice![:)]

Happy smoking![:D][8D]

Manxman.
Manxman

BigSmoker

LFord,
Welcome aboard.  Have fun and enjoy those ribs.  Check out this link as well for recipes, questions, food safety etc.  This has been put together by some of the great members here. Click Here

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Phone Guy

LFord,
If you have any favorite recipe's, feel free to share. I am pretty new at smokin and the more info I can get the better. I have been printing alot of rub and sauce ideas I picked up here. I have already smoked several things and the easiest so far is Bacon. Thats one thing I'm not sure you can do with charcoal. I have my second batch curing right now and in a few days I'll smoke it. I think I am going to through a butt in the smoker in the morning and have pulled pork tomorrow evening.

MWS

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br /> I am pretty new at smokin and the more info I can get the better.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

And this from an 'advanced member' [;)][:D]

Mike - Harrison Hot Springs B.C.
- Find true happiness, capture it and eat it -
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Chez Bubba

Welcome Les,

I've often wondered what a Philly cheese steak sammich would taste like if the meat were smoked. Hope you have good luck & continue to participate.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />Welcome Les,

I've often wondered what a Philly cheese steak sammich would taste like if the meat were smoked. Hope you have good luck & continue to participate.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Tastes damn good, Chez--did it last weekend with my boys while watching the Celtics (they lost to you know who . . .)

Les, welcome to the Forum!  You made a fantastic choice by getting the Bradley.  Let us know if you have any questions and share your experiences with us. [:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

LFord

Fired up my Bradley for the first time yesterday. I got a nice pork loin, and did a dry rub and layed a few slices of bacon on top and let it sit in the fridge overnight. PUlled it out Sunday morning and let it sit out while I pre-heated the smoker and played around with getting the temp where I wanted(200 or so). Put the loin in the smoker and let er rip. I have a remote thermometer I have used for a couple of years and I fed the wires through the smoke vent in the top with the one probe hanging just over the meat and the other probe in the loin. Smoked for two hours alternating 1 hickory to 2 maple and continued cooking until meat read 160. Total time in the smoker was about 6 hours and I did a half hour rest when done. It was fantastic, nice smoke flavor, tender and juicy. Served with corn on the cob and grilled sweet potato slices that were brushed with a mix of butter, maple syrup, cider vinegar and chinese five spice powder. My dad and a couple of friends had dinner with us and there was not a single scrap off food left by the time we were done, the poor dog was looking around for any after dinner tid-bits and he was out of luck.  
The temp control on the Bradley worked great and I could keep it between 195 and 205 with almost no effort even with a good breeze blowing.
Next Sunday is ribs in the smoker and beer making[:D]

psdubl07

Damn, those sweet potato slices sound good Les, I'm gonna have to try that.  
Glad to hear your first smoke worked out! [8D]

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by psdubl07</i>
<br />Damn, those sweet potato slices sound good Les, I'm gonna have to try that.  
Glad to hear your first smoke worked out! [8D]

Ditto[:p].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

LFord

Grilled Sweet Potatoes

Slice sweets about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick.
Grill over low heat with the lid closed on your grill.
Once browned and soft on the inside brush one side with glaze and cook for about 5 minutes to let the glaze carmelize a bit.

Glaze
1 stick butter
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons chinese 5 spice powder

Melt butter and remove from heat, add remaining ingredients and mix well. Keep warn and use as needed.
This recipe is is as close as I can get since I kinda use the "bout that much" or "looks about right" school of measurement while cooking.(might explain why I am such a lousy baker)

psdubl07

I will definitely be trying this next time I grill.
Your "bout that much" comment is too funny...I am the exact same way and don't bake either for that same reason!

Oldman

I did not know what it was...now I do~~~! [^]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Chinese Five Spice Powder
Originating in China, this spice mix combines equal parts ground cinnamon, fennel, star anise, cloves, and Szechwan pepper. It is often used in meat marinades and as a spice in barbequing. Mixed with ground salt, it makes a dip for deep-fried Chinese foods.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by LFord</i>
<br />Grilled Sweet Potatoes

Slice sweets about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick.
Grill over low heat with the lid closed on your grill...........

Auhhh, found smoething great for my lonesome grill....All it seems to get used for is a few burgers and some Portabellas.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...