Previous topic - Next topic

whitetailfan

Hmmm,
<font color="purple">pork...</font id="purple">
butt
bacon (belly and buckboard from a butt)
hocks
ribs
porkchops (individ as well as whole cured loin)
<font color="purple">beef...</font id="purple">
ribs
standing rib roasts
brisket
cold smoked steak (then grilled)
ground jerky
<font color="purple">wild game...</font id="purple">
deer jerky (whole muscle)
elk/pork sausage
<font color="purple">fish...</font id="purple">
salmon fillets (hot and cold smoked)
whitefish fillets
lake trout (hot smoked whole)
shrimp
<font color="purple">poultry</font id="purple">
whole chicken
bacon wrapped chicken 0s
<font color="purple">misc...</font id="purple">
cheese
taters

That's all I can remember doing so far, but my list will certainly be growing.  Dont know if that will include iguana though...

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

JJC

Uh, the iguana was a sort of a spur of the moment thing . . . my friend knew I enjoyed smokin' and when one of his pet iguanas died of "natural causes" (it was pretty old and about 3 1/2 feet long) he prepped it for me and put it in his frig for a day until I could brine and smoke it.  As for how good it was . . . let's just say it's not worth going out of your way to get one!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Kirk,

With my 5 gallon batch, I filled 4 - 1 gallon German mini-kegs and 3 - 22 oz. bottles. As I sit here typing I am enjoying [:p] the 3rd and last bottle. Sorry man [V] If it's any consulation, I will remember you on my next brew session and fill some 12 oz'ers.  I wonder about the legality [?] of mailing beer to another country and how that brew would fair in a heated cargo hold [xx(]. I think my next ale will be an IPA (India Pale Ale) with some apple smoked malted barley. By the way, I do an all grain mash, none of that extract stuff [^]

Cheers

Mike - Harrison Hot Springs B.C.
"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved" -John Wayne

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Mike,

Call it yeast samples for research![;)][;)][;)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

msiler

I have considered at different time giving a little homebrewing a try. However the only homebrew I have ever tasted was foul (the person who brewed it never even tried a second batch[xx(][xx(]. Is it really that straightforward to get good results and inexpensive to try out? I guess I always just figured it was one of those things best left to the pros.

When in doubt smoke it.

PAsmoker

Msiler, homebrewing is a snap.  It's not exactly inexpensive, but not really expensive.  I know MWS does an all-grain process, but for the beginner & inexperienced (or the lazy like myself), you can make an excellent beer with malt extracts & grains.  the biggest thing is CLEANLINESS.  Everything must be sanitized.  You can probably get a starter kit for about $100-150 for the equipment.  the extracts are fairly priced.  If you take your time & keep everything clean, it's simple & fun.  You'll need a boiling kettle to make your wort (grains, extract,hops, etc), a hydrometer to read the specific gravity of the wort, a carboy to ferment in, & something to bottle or keg in.   Right now, I use 5 gallon soda kegs.  I got tired of washing, snaitizing, & capping bottles. The kits usually will combine a lot of these items.
The Original PAsmoker

Oldman

Msiler

You can do what those Georgia boys did when I was a kid.

Cold homebrew

One large can malt
5 pounds sugar
1 packet yeast
1 large bottle aspirin

Add all (except the aspirin) to 5 gallons of water in plastic container. Cover with cloth to keep the bugs out. Allow to work off until the head (foam) turns over. 3-5 days.

Drink all you want.. Get up the next morning and take several aspirin and keep the bottle with you the rest of the day--you are going to need it! [:D]

Yes I speak from experiance as a foolish young man. Oh my head never hurt so bad... [:0]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MWS

LOL [:D]

Boy, that brings back memories from my youth...Same beer recipe and a batch of celery wine as well [xx(][xx(]. Mom had lot's of celery in the fridge that day [:o)].

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

psdubl07

PAsmoker is exactly right.  The biggest thing is having everything sanitized.  Past that, easy peasy.  It will take some time and doesn't come out any cheaper than buying beer, but the end product can be fantastic! [:p]

msiler

I don't really drink enough to make cost of beer a real concern. I would rather have quality than quantity any day. I tjink I will have to give this a try after I return from the next desert rotation. now just how did you go about smoking the barley?? Thanks for the input.

When in doubt smoke it.

psdubl07

I haven't brewed any beer w/ smoked barley.....YET!
But I would imagine just lay some cheesecloth down on the rack and put the barley on that.  That's how I do almonds.

MWS

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by msiler</i>
<br />now just how did you go about smoking the barley?? Thanks for the input.

http://www.byo.com/feature/597.html

This link is a good resource for smoking your own grains. I smoked malted barley by soaking in a whiskey water solution overnight, drained and placed in cheesecloth and smoked with oak @ 140F for about 1.5 hours

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
 ...bacon wrapped chicken 0s<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Chicken <font color="red">0s</font id="red">??? I thought these sounded good but I have done a search for these and have not located them on the whole chickens I have. Well I have chicken breasts but are 0s diffrent?

jaeger

Phone Guy,

It's the same thing.

Always use caution when doing a search for 0s, especially if the wife is within an arms reach.[:D]

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br />bacon wrapped chicken 0s

White, do you know how hard it is to clean an 18" LCD monitor of spots!  Man, [:D][:D][:D]

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br />bacon wrapped chicken 0s

<font color="red">White, do you know how hard it is to clean an 18" LCD monitor of spots!  Man</font id="red"> [:D][:D][:D]
Hard..to..keep..this..clean......humour..suppression..failing...
Insert your own dirty joke, I have to hit the post reply button quick before I get in trouble.[:D][}:)][:D]

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.