19.5 lb turkey-16 lb big easy?

Started by Quarlow, April 02, 2010, 08:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

My brother gave me a 19.5 lb turkey for my birthday and now I have to try to figure out how to get it in the Big easy. Any suggestions? I have been toying with the idea of making a bracket so I can run a rotiserrie rod threw a turkey or roast and then just let the item to be cooked just hang straight up and down from the top. Without the basket in there it would fit . Or I might be able to cut the wings and legs of and just cook the body. Any thoughts?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

RossP

Q try and get one of the Stainless paper towel holder that sits on the counter top. You can put it in the turkey and and have it come out the neck area. Then hang the bird on a rod across the top of the Big Easy. On the Sizzlin on the Grill site http://sizzleonthegrill.com/user-forums/index.php?topic=1303.0 Savannahsmoker has a picture of what I am talking about. This is how I a doing my turkey on Sunday.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Quarlow

That looks good Ross I will see what I can do with it like that. I will have to wrap it with some string to to keep the legs and wings from burning off but I just happen to have one of those towel holders right here on the counter. Thanks buddy.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

well I managed to get it in the BE. I took twine and tied the legs and wings in, then I run my rotisserie rod threw it so it was about 2" from the pointy end then I stood it in the drain hole at the bottom. I took bailing wire and tied it centered in the barrel and then set it on fire. It is working great but I am going to build a little stand for the bottom and a bracket for the top. The bottom needs to not sit in the hole cause the blood that drips out congeals and then blocks the drippings from running out into the pan. The top will be more conveneint with a centering bracket. This turkey is still to big for this BE and I think the legs will be scorched to hell. I would have to say 18lbs would be the max for future use. I will post picks when it is all done cause I am having trouble with my card transferring to my comp.

OBS
BBQ

squirtthecat

ArnieM

Gee, sorry I missed this thread Q.  That sounds like a pretty tight fit.  Certainly getting rid of the 'cage' and suspending it sounds like the way to go.  I made a contraption like that for a chicken last year.  Get to know your hardware store people  ;D  Any pics yet?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Ka Honu

Quote from: RossP on April 02, 2010, 11:53:26 PM...Savannahsmoker has a picture of what I am talking about.

sav (and many others including me) use a rack from a "traditional" turkey fryer suspended from a steel rod (mine was the shipping rod from a new washing machine) as shown in the picture.  Since my paper towel holder is wood, it probably makes sense for me to do it that way.  Works exceptionally well and you can always hook or tie the turkey so it hangs from the rod (if it "settles" on the rack and expands in girth, getting too close to the sides).

ArnieM

I don't know if the link will work or not, but this was my DIY chicken hanger for TBE.  The turkey would probably be a bit more difficult to fit in there (at 19 pounds).

http://s738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/ArnieMauer/DIY%20Chicken%20Hanger/
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Ka Honu

Arnie - I never knew the "M" stood for "MacGyver."  Your ingenuity notwithstanding, that is one UGLY setup - but it appears to have worked perfectly so WHOGAS?

Quarlow

Sorry, My comp is not working well right now which is why I haven't been on here much. I can't upload my pics either. I'll get them on as soon as I can. It worked real slick and I will be doing some mods to it to make it better.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

Q, good to see you feeling well enough to start tossing some meat around.

Quarlow

Yeah it feels good too. Now I have to get a bunch of salmon out of the freezer and do up another batch. I am trying to find a grinder and stuffer cause My uncle gave me a pile of Buffalo, deer and Angus beef. Got to make some sausages.

OBS
BBQ

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Quarlow on April 09, 2010, 06:44:32 PM
Yeah it feels good too. Now I have to get a bunch of salmon out of the freezer and do up another batch. I am trying to find a grinder and stuffer cause My uncle gave me a pile of Buffalo, deer and Angus beef. Got to make some sausages.

You can use mine Q. Just come on down anytime. I will even supply the refreshments while we you make your sausage.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Quarlow

Well thanks Chris. I need a reason to not spend the 300 bucks, so I'll just buy a 800 dollar plane ticket and wing on down and use your gear. You're a real pal. :D :D :D At least I won't have all that equipment to trip over all the time. ;D ;D

OBS
BBQ

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Quarlow on April 09, 2010, 09:46:11 PM
Well thanks Chris. I need a reason to not spend the 300 bucks, so I'll just buy a 800 dollar plane ticket and wing on down and use your gear. You're a real pal. :D :D :D At least I won't have all that equipment to trip over all the time. ;D ;D

Well the beer is cold
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!