• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

leave skin on or take it off?

Started by rmdodson, April 03, 2010, 12:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmdodson

I bought what I thought were a couple of pork shoulder roasts on sale ($1.04/#) this past week. I was just opening one to throw in the smoker & found that it is a shoulder picnic roast with the skin still on. What do I do with that? Leave it on & season over it with my CYM & pork rub or remove it? It's in the sink warming up right now. Plan on putting it in the smoker around 5 or 6 this evening.

Thanks all, Rhonda

pensrock

I would take the skin off. I never tried one with the skin on but I know with the skin off it is great.  :)

Habanero Smoker

There are a couple of ways you can do this. My preferred method is to remove the skin and most of the fat; leaving about 1/8" - 1/4" left on. You will get more smoke flavor that way. You can use any pork seasoning you like, and smoke cook like you would a butt, but I generally take mine out at 165°F, break them apart into their different muscle groups and slice. Or you can go to a higher internal temperature and chop the meat.

Or you can leave the skin on, use a knife (a clean new and unused utility knife works best), and score the skin at 1" intervals down to the meat; in both directions making diamond patterns. At this point you can either brine it, and/or apply a rub and smoke/cook as above. Before serving remove the skin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rmdodson

rmdodson

I was thinking along the lines of you & Hab. Thanks.