Meat Broker

Started by traderrob, April 03, 2010, 02:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traderrob

OK, will give it a go.

traderrob

From the mouth of babes, my 11 year old boy came up with a million dollar idea.....When I told him "you can't open it (the Brad) up to look at the meat cause you'll screw up the temp" He said:"Why don't they put a window in the door."

Worth considering.

Sailor

Yes it is a good idea.  I would think the biggest drawback would be the price increase to put a window in.  It would increase the production time to cut an opening in the door and install and seal the window.  Not to mention the added cost of glass that would withstand the heat.  I would also think that a light would have to be installed to be able to see what is going on inside.  Yikes.....a broken bulb is now in my meat  ;D 

In my research for a smoker I have found a few that have a window in the door but the cost of the Bradley is way below the cost of any smoker that I have come across so far.  I would liken the idea of having a window in a smoker to having a window in the oven.  Our oven has it but I never use it.  Instead of flipping on the light to look in I want to open it up so I can fully see what is going on with the stuff inside.

Opening the door will slow the cook time but I don't think I would want the trade off by having a window. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

traderrob

Good point, and that was my initial concern.

But us smokers (newbie as I am) don't concern ourself with a fifty dollar bill, which is probably what it would cost in retail.

I think for the guys who can leave something set for 12 -16 hrs and never have a second thought. God love em, I wish I could be so psycholgically  resolute,  but I as well as thousands aren't so mentally rigid.

Offer one with a window and alot will choose the option , mark my words.

ArnieM

Early on I thought a window would be a good idea.  By now, I know I wouldn't be able to see through it.  So, yes, it's faith - and temperature probes.  Except maybe for a peek at the ribs.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

I can hardly see through the window on my Oven.

I think it's the residual smoke from putting butts in there.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Parrot Person

Envious of someone who has a source for restaurant-grade meat!  Bet it amuses you when you see the same old cuts in the case with those newfangled designer names.

ArnieM

Try to find a good local butcher, preferably a one or two man operation; not a mega-mart.  In other words, a butcher, not a "meat clerk".  Strike up a conversation and maybe even buy something  :D

There's only one butcher in my town and he has part of a deli.  He supplies stuff to several local restaurants.  We chat some about meat, smoking, whatever and are now on a first name basis.  He has quality stuff.  But, don't get me wrong.  If you can find what you're looking for considerably cheaper at a mega-mart, go for it.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

zephyr

Welcome Traderrob!

ZEP
Mak 2 Star
Mod. Traeger 075 Downdraft
Mod. Traeger 150 BBQ Downdraft
55 Gal. Cold Smoker